'07 Sherco 3.2 Update

sirhc

And Chris, reading the reports of the more agressive 4T with the Kiehin, I have been hesitant as I have not had a chance to ride one.

How would you compare to a standard 2.9? You may want to open another thread on this! Give us a report!

Compared to the 2.9, besides all the usual 4t stuff (heavier engine braking, increased traction, etc) I think what you want to know is, is it harder to handle than a 2.9? To me it feels like it has as much if not more power than a 2.9, but it is much easier to handle do to the fact that a 4 stroke just revs slower and won't jerk you around as much. I can see why it would be too much for novice riders of course so is a 2.9. I would also say this is the best handling Sherco I have ever ridden. I don't know whether it's because it was a late realise 07 and has the 08 frame geometry or if it's the 4t motor. It just feels and turns better than the 07 2t's. Weight is pretty much a none issue as is the starting, never use the choke or hot start lever and it always starts easy :D

Edited by sirhc

modern two strokes by all the manufacturers have far to many fault problems ,but surprisingly their four strokes machines don't. i've read countless owners with 06,07,08 2t bikes complaining. the four strokes bikes and especially the sherco need to rid us of any faults and at

Edited by spud

Chris, thanks for all the updates and reviews on your 07 3.2. I love my 05 with all the updates. One thing you have not mentioned though which I believe is an important issue is the noise factor. My 05 is dead quiet, I love it that way. I find the MOnts way too noisy. I have not seen a Beta yet but I hear they are quiet too. The Scorpa is also not noisy.

I wish I could try a newer version of the Sherco at some point. My ONLY negative on the whole bike, is the 5 speed trans! Its not a problem for sections, but we do a ton of free riding here and it is a pain in but. The trans itself works beautifully, just missing a gear. I am holding on now for the GG 4t as it seems to have ALL the right stuff coming. EFI, 300+cc, lightweight, 6 speed trans, and looks very nice!!

That's because my bike isn't as quite as yours. I don't know why, but for some reason the new bike got louder. Not near as loud as a Montesa though. To the ear it is probably as loud as my Montesa was with the Mitani exhaust just a different tone to it. I have ridden the Beta and it almost sounds like a stock XR 100.

I totally agree on the tranny. Many of our trials are in the desert where we go across the desert from one rock pile to the next and I miss the six speeds. Seems there all going way from that. It's funny that Gas Gas has the smallest motor and is still a six speed. So much for a five speed motor being smaller and lighter.

Good report Chris! Seems like you may like a bit less agressive power as well, yet lots of it!

As many on here know, my '07 2.9 is set back a bit on the timing and uses a bit smoother reed in the Boyesens, just about right for me. With the Kiehin, lets just say I don't need it.

I did ride the '08 2.9, and it it very nice in standard trim, as basically the two map switch is doing the same thing with the timing, to exactly what extent I have not measured, but if you feel the 4T is still smoother than a 2.9 in the low and mid, I doubt I would have too much problem, yet I still recall the great powre the '05 bikes had when you let them rip! A good running one is smooth as glass it seems.

I like the quiet factor as well, but I would still be tempted to build a little "special" exhaust! Get rid of the lumpy muffler for a little Supertrapp or something with some four stroke bark! Where we ride, nobody cares! There is still a bit of fun in "Growl,Snarl, and Pop!

Ah, yes! Memories of the old Honda 305 Scrambler with the twice pipes! :D

Oh, I was gonna add the fact that compared to the '03 and '05 bikes I had, the '07 seems to get around the trail quite nicely in 4th gear. Almost think they lowered the ratio a bit, but not sure, just works! I ran a 2tooth larger 44rear on the '05 which did the same. Not seem to need it now. :D

Edited by copemech

Thanks for that info too Chris! I suspected that the newer Shercos were a tad noisier after watching some U-tube vids of Jarvis in the UK and it seemed louder. never sure if his bike is totally stock though so just wondered. I think the Sherco is the best of the 4Ts so far for me anyway, I love it. If I could tell the factory one thing it would be the same, 6 speeds please! There is no substitute in the slime for that motor!!!

steve

Chris, if you email me I can send a vid that someone took of me after one of our trials the other weekend playing around in the slime!

So Mark when you rode the '08 did the geometry feel any different than your '07? Like the pegs a little lower or anything? That's how my 3.2 feels, I was just wondering if it's 08 specs or a 4t thing.

I had a '06 2.9 and I really liked the motor once I dropped the counter shaft by one tooth, put a Keihin on and the V-Force reeds. Unfortunately the handling of that bike just didn't suit me :D Even though they look the same I'm amazed how much better the 07's feel

Edited by sirhc

So Mark when you rode the '08 did the geometry feel any different than your '07? Like the pegs a little lower or anything? That's how my 3.2 feels, I was just wondering if it's 08 specs or a 4t thing.

I had a '06 2.9 and I really liked the motor once I dropped the counter shaft by one tooth, put a Keihin on and the V-Force reeds. Unfortunately the handling of that bike just didn't suit me :D Even though they look the same I'm amazed how much better the 07's feel

To be honest, no, If there is any major difference in frames other than them dropping the radiator a bit, nothing stood out. Not that the bike is not sweet! Best out of the box bike I have ever ridden, literally! Much better than me! Of course, my well massaged '07 is set for ME and is comfortable!

I will tell you my current rave, Ryan's 1/2 back peggies, expensive, but after a while, you may just find they ARE like cheating! :D