Burnt Up Fan Relay

toothandnail

Ok, I bought a used Gas Gas Txt 320 and the fan was bad when I bought it. I replaced the fan with a new model and everything was fine. After riding for about 2 hours the fan quit working. I went back to check out what the problem was and found that the relay that the fan hooks up to burnt up. I replaced the relay and the new one did the same thing. I double cecked all conections and they are hooked up the exact same way as the 280 we have. Please help! Thanks!

I'd check for:

1. A poor ground. I wouldn't assume the ground is good if the capscrew holding the clips is tight, I'd take it apart and sand the clips and re-install.

2. A short in the system. I'd trace all the wires in the system and make sure there is no insulation rubbed off. It will usually be in a spot where you can't see it.

Start at the stator and work upwards. If you haven't had the flywheel off since you bought the bike, you might be surprized at what you find. Unvented sidecases, especially those with plastic covers that may have compromised sealing, will literally suck water into them when cooled quickly (like in a creek).

Jon

You mentioned you had a TXT 320, so I'm guessing it probably is a 97' JTR320 (they were silver plastic in the States) with the Kokusan system in it. I think they had a DC rectifier and a voltage regulator, (both little black box type thingies) but no "relay", per se, for the fan.

If it says "TRANSVAL 415" on it, that is the voltage regulator, if it has "LEONELLI SPAIN" on it, that's the rectifier, do you remember which one it was?

Jon

What exactly is the diode rectifier pack? If it is the black box the sits just below the radiator cap, thats what I burned up, replaced and burned up again.

Yes it is the black box below the radiator cap.

Here is an electrical diagram of how it works.

I had a txt 280 that went after a while. I later found a voltage spike from the stator with an ossciliscope.

I made a higher amperage one myself and it worked fine. I also found water in the flywheel stator assembly as my root cause to my spike.

--Biff

post-712-1196796267.jpg

I drew that off of memory from 4 years ago but it is generically accurate.

I am thinking that i might have had 4 wires on my rectifier.

The diode acts as a one way check valve for the ac voltage. Lets the positive voltage pass but blocks the negative voltage from getting to the fan. The fan uses dc volts the stator provides ac voltage. I used a 25 volt capictor so that it could take the spike. I believe that when i disected my old rectifier it was a 16 volt capictor which may have been my root cause for the failure. It went poof in other words and the capictor split from heat.

--Biff