Chaos @ The Ama

city trials

Can anyone make some sense what's going on at the AMA? In a nutshell, the AMA brings in a new guy. THe new guy is one paranoid SOB. One said SOB boss dumped two long-standing workers - who by all accounts are loyal, hard-working employees. Said boss hauls them out of the building like criminals.

Then the fall-out comes. One employee demands the reversal of said firing. Next, a board member resigns. . As this is playing out, all employees are working in an environment of fear. Then, the AMA website goes down.

Is the AMA falling apart?

Edited by City Trials

The AMA is here to stay- love it or hate it. I have been invloved in trials, enduro, HS and now E-Cross races for 30 yrs in MI. I always thought of it as only a necessary evil, at least until the last 10 yrs or so. The AMA organization really seems to lobby for us as a special interest group in a world that would love to see us go away (ie: the non-motorized population) They do a lot in conjunction with others, the Blue Ribbon Coalition is one that comes to mind, but there are certainly more. WE have a strong future if we keep making ourselves heard and don't become too complacent. Our club has some members and friends in the AMA management structure so perhaps I hear more than some about what goes on inside. Kinda interesting to hear each different rider group comment at the annual meeting. Motocross complains about the road guys and the hillclimb guys have something to say about Hare Scrambles, and on and on.... All I can say is suppport those who are speaking on our behalf about the very issues that would shut us down by the "greens".

Keith

I think this is a good move. AMA can't be promoter and service organization. It's almost impossible to be promoting the same sports you have to regulate. It's all too easy to start chasing the dollar. Now people usually sign up for the AMA because they need to for insurance coverage. The problem is that means a significant number of the non-racers don't sign up believing there's no reason to. If those people can be shown a real benefit to sign up such as a more active AMA political structure more will sign up and the clout of the AMA grows making it even more effective.

Dan

All I can say is suppport those who are speaking on our behalf about the very issues that would shut us down by the "greens".

I totally agree with you. However, the ama has done nothing to keep areas open around here, but they sure put their hand out to collect our money. I support corva and the brc. What good is motorcycle insurance if I have no place to ride ?

True enough but the BRC has done nothing around here and that is the problem. We have been divided and are being conquered. The heart of the issue is all politics are local. An organization like BRC and AMA are only as effective as they can be at getting the people they represent to get off their duffs and make themselves heard. Unfortunately as a group off-road riders are notoriously independent and getting them to work together is like trying to herd cats. This has worked in the favor of those who want us gone all too well.

Dan

My experience with the AMA is that if you have a land use issue, contact them with the details. I have first hand experience of their invlovement on a couple of issues here in MI. As it goes with anything, the squeeky wheel gets the attention, so don't expect much from just one letter or e-mail. The new format for the AMA seems to be less on the promotion side and more legal and political representation. Hopefully that will prove to be a good thing for us all. As far as the BRC it sure seems like they are more rooted in the west than in the east, but that too is most likely a result of their active members living for most part in the west. If there are issues in the east that may benefit by the invlovement of the BRC perhaps an offer to spearhead the effort for the BRC could be an option. Here in MI we (as a tax paying special interest group) having been working very diligently on an issue (bill #4323) that will allow unlicensed ORV's and bikes to legally ride on secondary roads in all counties in MI. At this point the bill passed the house with a 171-0 yes vote, and it is being voted on soon by the senate. 6 counties in MI have already passes ordinaces that allow this use already, but this legilation really paves the way for other counties to do the same. What a great thing for the off road community. IMagine that- riding your trials bike- legally- down the road from one property to another. This effort has been assisted by the AMA (not the BRC) and is a great example of just how effective we can be if organized in numbers... Afterall, that is what the "greens" do to stop us from riding.