Tdn (non Funding)

trialsurfer

Apparantly even with the addition of monies from special events and the regular fundraisers there was a Shortfall in sending the Team to the IOM, which for now has to be taken up by the RIDERS! I for one cant imagine that as many clubs and supporters that are in the USA that the riders would have to foot the bill to represent us in the TDN (which they did admirably).

Kip Webb is handling the 2008 event but I feel that the trials rider community should come to the Riders aid and help to be able to refund the money they had to put up to ride!!

I agree. The riders should not have to pay to represent us. And they did a great job of doing so. So where do we send some cash to. I got the first $25.00 bucks to send where??? This should also be a reminder if we all just helped out a little bit it would make a huge difference.

How much did each rider have to come up with?

This was the highest placing team we have ever had :closedeyes:

Edited by No Jive

Apparantly even with the addition of monies from special events and the regular fundraisers there was a Shortfall in sending the Team to the IOM, which for now has to be taken up by the RIDERS! I for one cant imagine that as many clubs and supporters that are in the USA that the riders would have to foot the bill to represent us in the TDN (which they did admirably).

Kip Webb is handling the 2008 event but I feel that the trials rider community should come to the Riders aid and help to be able to refund the money they had to put up to ride!!

i must chime in here real quick and im going to p*** off a few people (not intentional)a few years ago the trals community used to raise enough funds to pay for most of the teams expences,with events like the eltrial de espana t shirt sales ect.well the last 2 eltrials i attended had poor turnout and a few of the top riders and teams did not bother to show up.the events and raffles were poorly run ie non riders winning a cases of oil and helmets-bikes ect. bitching and moaning ran rampet in the pits and people just not having fun like WE used to.add to that the fact that people are losing there jobs to india and other countrys, forecloseurs at an all time high and $3.50 gallon gas and you can understand why people just dont have the extra money to support the team.lane and his hollywood types might not be affected by all this but the reast of the real world is.now i love to go over to california and party with ringo and tfm but hell i just cant justify spending $600 to do so. just my 1 cent worth :closedeyes:

First off got to love the name petersdraggin.

I think you will see a lot of changes for 2008. Kip Webb has been on fire. He is in charge this year and has just about got the web site up www.usatdn.org, T shirts are in the works. Bill Isben has made a CD from Isle of man that is for sale at RYP. You will start to see a lot of changes in the near future.

I can see what you mean about the last few years. But in defense the El Tial was moved and Lewis sport took over. Hats off to Lewis sport but when things change it takes a while to make the most of it. I can remember when several bikes were given away at El Trial. I bought tickets and never won. Then it went to one bike. Then I think it went to a kids bike.

Money is tight everwhere I do agree. I own a Home Inspection business. Not as busy as I want. Went from 10 to 15 jobs a week to 3 or 4 some weeks.

But I will still kick in some cash. It is what you can afford. If every trials rider in the USA kicked in a few bucks there would not be a problem. Then there are the few that may kick in more.

If you look at last years team they are all young kids (in my book they are young). Just out of High School or in college. So it cant hurt to kick in a few bucks to help out. Just imagine $3 times how many trials riders in the USA. Im sure it is a fairy tale to think everyone would send $3.

Edited by No Jive

I know what you mean as well. I cannot even seem to get Ringo to commit to the wager donation against Craig just to see who makes it the furthest in the E-cross, no less getting any body else to pitch in!

I realize it is all just for fun, and pride, but it could also be a big help!

On another note, there is NO excess money it seems. I do not want to seem rude here, just practicle. How many minders are needed? How many went? These have to be TEAM minders at an event! It is a TEAM effort!

Now I say that, as it is a valid question, I seen pics of two for sure. What is the team manager doing while the trials is going on?

Just asking honest questions here. :closedeyes:

Hi guys,

I was just reading your topic and i find it mind blowing that your riders had to pay for their travel!

I live on the Isle of Man and i helped out alot with the TDN. I also know how expensive it is to get on and off the island let alone travel all the way from your side of the pond! Ok, it's alot of money but expecting the riders to pay their own way is ridiculous. Thats gotta be sorted out for next year as it's probably gonna be as expensive to get to Andorra.

Anyway, just thought i'd put my view down!

Happy riding guys

I had Kip Webb the 2008 TDN team Manager put something together so I or you are not just spouting what we dont know.

# 1 The team is 100% funded thru the grassroots organizing. The last couple years have been very poor. There was NAMU (North American Motorcycle Union & how many people knew what this was?) monies funded thru the FIM that offset some of the cost for 06 & 05 but that has dried up for a lack of organized effort. We are trying to get that back, but not sure what will happen there yet.

# 2 The minders are 100% volunteer, dedicated individuals who pay their own expenses totally, I personally rode 2 days as minder/helper for both Men & Womens team

# 3 Our team is on the verge of breaking thru to the higher levels & need to be supported

# 4 If everyone gave 5 dollars we would be covered, so no money being available is not a valid argument, only a reason to blow holes into that effort

# 5 A concerted effort is underway to raise funds thru the shirts, CD sales etc. but we need it supported

# 6 Another bigger fund raiser PROJECT is a sponsorship package being put together with help of Howard Galbreath & crew, alignment with a larger sponsor is paramount.

Fact: Each 07 team member received $750 for their expenses, you can't even get to Disney World for that let alone 1/2 way across the world to represent the AmericanTrials Community. This effort to do it right @ 100% is about a $12K deal.

What do I ( Kip Webb) as Team Manager gain out of this. Absolutely nothing, other than my love and passion for this sport. I can honestly say that being involved with something you believe in is important to all of us in some way. I have been on both sides as rider & helper/supporter. The efforts being put forth are for the future as well as the present. Feel free to ask me any questions or constructive advice. kip.webb@gcinc.com

Edited by No Jive

Right on Dabnabit

To every problem there is a solution (except with my ex-wife). If you want to support the TDN and your asking what can I do? Well here are some simple ideas.

1 Buy a CD at rypusa.com. easy enough also a great Christmas present. I have not ordered mine yet but will soon.

2. Organize an event with all profit going to TDN. Trials event, Trials School, Raffle at your next event, Kids Trial.

3. At your next club meeting bring up donating $1 per rider at each or just one event.

4. Have a swap and sell at an event with a percentage going to TDN. How much motorcycle crap do we all have in our garages? I dont my stuff is all priceless

5. Have a coffee can at sign ups asking for donations.

6. Send a check. My P.O. box is set with TDN to receive mail. Send a buck send $5. It will all go to the TDN. Send cash I dont care. I guarantee it will go directly to TDN. If you send at least $15 I will send one of the dumbest trials videos that never sold out last year.

7. Go to usatdn.org and donate there through pay pal. Or click above at dabnabits post. That way you dont have trust issues with sending me money. I dont care how it gets there.

TDN-USA

P.O. Box 913

Boulder Creek

Ca 95006

Last how do other countries raise funds?

Edited by No Jive

It is definetely a team effort!!!! I was there, I was minding. We had four minders at every section, sometimes five. You are on a major time crunch and we would not have made without the help from all the minders. In one section I know I plugged three tires, getting one rider in the section, and another to follow without letting other teams cut in front of you. Sure some of you are saying wooohooo plug three tires. Find the holes, plug the tire, 1minute and half. start on another so we dont loose a spot. Most sections Two minders were a must!!!! Some teams had Eight minders just for the men. I can speak for every minder there, WE ALL HELPED EACH RIDER EQUALLY AND ALOT. Ted was keeping an eye on the pits and preparing lunch. A gourmet peanut butter and jelly, or ham and cheese with all 2 minutes to eat it. Ted was helping fill up the bikes as well. Minders are there for the passion of the sport and to help. Each minder paid their way, except me. I have nothing to hide CHRIS FLORIN paid my way. That was his choice, if he doesnt make the team and I get picked to do it again and have to pay, I will be there for the team. The riders still had to come out of pocket for the trip is the bottom line!!!!!!!

Now with the Dedication of Kip Webb, Bill Ibsen and others there is a lot of activity in raising money for the team. I encourage everyone to help get the word out in local clubs, bike shops etc.