Ty 80 Project

betarick

Hi everybody im new to this forum & have just managed to get hold of a ty 80 project! and would like some info from you ty guys? first of all i would like to know the year of it the frame number is 451-111131 and engine is 451-108-190 should the numbers be the same? any info would be great and would love to hear from anyone else who is restoring a ty 80?

Edited by betarick

Hi Betarick,I think you will find that the engine and frame numbers would have matched when the bike was new,if you search the forums you will find lots of info regarding your TY80,There is a posting with info to phone Yamaha on 01932 358000,to get it dated.I have found there is enough info in the Haynes manual to get you through most problems with the TY range.

Stripped engine today and found a hole in crankcase i dont reckon it should be there? looks like some retard as drilled the hole out where the gear selector return spring holder bolt type thing sits in have a look at photos of bike i reckon i have got my hands on a right pile of sh-t!my photos

betarick,Stick with it,can't you get the hole plugged with some weld and just drill and re-tap it,as a last resort you could try some of that two pack metal mix filler,there use to be some stuff called Bells filler that set as hard as metal.