Gas Gas 300 Noise On Shutting Throttle? Help.......

justincroft

When I shut the throttle on my GG300 i get a mechanical clunk. Bike is running fine but sounds like something with a bit of play as the engine comes on/off load. I only really notice it when running between sections. It coincides with the little pop you get as your off the throttle. Third gear is noisier also? Are these normal as its a new bike to me and never had a trials bike before. Oherwise the bike is spot on.....

Any techniques for easy starting.........

Many thanks in anticipation.

Yes. But it will soften the power too. Not necessarily a bad thing. I went for the Hebo flywheel to calm my Raga down. But that didn't help with the starting. For that I developed a very large right leg!

The alternative is additional base gaskets. PeterB is the expert here and he's away until the weekend. So I'd hang on until then.

I will wait for advice from PeterB thanks ! soften the power is not a problem for me a 125 would be more than enough for me. Problem is there are not alot of trial bikes for sale here in little Holland so the 300 was the only one for sale within budget.

I dont believe you can alter the timimg on a Gas Gas. I dont have problems starting the bike but that said the kick is short as it hits the foot pegs.

I would try a slow action throttle first as its cheapest and in my view the first option to try. The standard is white fast action and black is slow action to which made a great deal of difference to my bike.

I also find that a Gasser does warm up quickly and seems to cool quickly to often requiring the choke which on Beta never had to use once fired up. Just ran like it was on bloody choke most of time anyway compared to gasser.

Did you resolve the noise on your bike?

Haven't had chance to ride it since.... won't be until new year now!! Checked all bolts, nothing loose. Will have to ride it again and have a good listen, probably me being a jess! Will try another bike as well hopefully at some stage.

Cheers for all the posts and Happy Christmas all............ :rolleyes:

Hi Justin,

What year is the 300?

Usually from cold, I tend to tip my 300 over to the left to flood the carb (DellOrto or Keihin) and it starts first or second kick.

The timing can be altered, external to the flywheel is the ignition pick up sensor, held in place by two bolts, approx 2 O'Clock position. You can losen these two bolts and move the sensor a tiny amount anti-clockwise to retard the timing for softer low end power. I have slotted the sensor bracket mounting holes to allow the sensor to have more movement in the past for advancing the timing. Not needed to do this with the Raga 300.

On models with Ducati ignition systems (generally the 280/300's) some bikes are prone to be hard to start when warm. Not 100% sure, but reasonably confident that this is due to the sensor to flywheel air gap. Just worked on a 300 2 weeks ago with this problem. Bike starts fine when cold and is hard to start when warm. The air gap was 20 thou, reduced this to 4 thou and this seemed to fix the problem. You can get this adjustment on the the clearence of the sensor bracket holes as standard, losen the two lock screws and move the sensor until you get 4 thou.

Fitting the Hebo weight to the 300 made the motor much more manageable up rocky creeks while still having stacks of zap for the bigger stuff.

Mechanical noise that you describe could be loose flywheel nut or a loose clutch centre bolt, sometimes the clutch centre bolts are not overly tight on these bikes. (4mm Allen head with vent hole).

The PRO motor does make a clutch grumble noise on idle, which dissapears if you disengage the clutch, this is normal.

Bye, PeterB.

Great info Peter thanks !! I have the Ducati version bike is a 2004 300txtpro with dellorto carb so the tilt over trick should work for me. Just to be sure no headspacer for me the total beginner just retard the timing and hebo flywheel and get used to it ?

Cheers,

Edited by EdHolland

Merry Christmas Ed from Holland,

I never tried a head spacer, none here where we live.

The flywheel weight was a definate advantage, works very well. Slot the sensor holes to rotate the pick up anti clockwise, then set the sensor gap to approx 4 thou.

Also, for the 300 only with DellOrto carb, I usually run with a D34 needle. It's a bit richer at the low end, I prefer this to the D36 which is a bit quick on pick up.

If you still need less power, then you can easily fit another base gasket, or two. Use a 0.8mm thick gasket. Leave the head in place when removing the cylinder.

Bye, PeterB.