Sherco 290 Gas Tank Leak

scalzitti

Just bought a "new to me" 2006 Sherco 290. The gas tank was leaking like a sieve at the gasket. Replaced the gasket and brass screws, but the leak was still bad. We then trimmed the "wings" off the gasket and were able to stop the leak. The local dealer says this nylon tank is a poor design. Is there a better way or a better tank out there? Based on the wiggle required to get the petcock to the on position and the petcocks proximity to the tank bottom, it seems like it won't be long before the leak makes an appearance again soon. Thanks, Larry

Does it have an o-ring on the petcock? I seem to recall having to install a slightly larger diamiter "American" fractional o-ring in there on the '06, no gasket thing needed. Hope that helps! :rolleyes:

Edited by copemech

Does it have an o-ring on the petcock? I seem to recall having to install a slightly larger diamiter "American" fractional o-ring in there on the '06, no gasket thing needed. Hope that helps! :D

^^What he said^^

It was the only thing that worked for me :rolleyes:

My '07 was leaking at the petcock....Seems one thread insert (that the bolt threads into) into the tank was not fully inserted, keeping the petcock/o-ring from fully seating to the tank. Just ground down the insert flush with tank and problem fixed.

Then the tank cap started leaking like a sieve.....seems the cap is to small for the hole...or the tank grew. Cap was actually popping off the Tank. Took some teflon tape and wrapped the caps threads several times (to increase the size) and stoped that leak/problem.

Further on

Water pump seal started to leak (pump side) seems some crap from factory worked its way into the seal...clean re-install and good to go

Then the front brake master would not hold pressure....same deal, some crap worked its way into the seal...clean re-install good to go

One year and that's my only issues/fixes :rolleyes: .......been enjoying the bike.

After owning an 02, that leaked all the time, in the past,. My 06 has never had any problems with the petcock. And I removed it, just the other day (to check the filter) and there was no gasket.

I personally do not switch off the petcock unless I

• 2 weeks later...