Finding Those Restricters?

sam

I have a 03 montesa and was just made aware of removing the restricters!

I have located one between the muffler and the exhaust box, but looked in the head pipe and seen nothing, must have been removed.

I was told there is two more around the reed valve and carb, could someone be more specific of the location and what they look like?

Indiana Sam.

Edited by Sam

the carb one is in the hose, carb to reed its a large washer with a small hole .the airbox one is a piece of plastic between airbox and lid. the other one you looked for is welded into mouth of the frontpipe again a washer but with a tube included you cant miss it good luck :hyper:

as munch says those are the three to get the one out of the front pipe use a 1/8 drill, drill all the way round the washer then carfuly chisel it out,the others should come out fairly easily by pulling them out,the silencer one should tap out hoe this helps :hyper:

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 03 montesa and was just made aware of removing the restricters!

I have located one between the muffler and the exhaust box, but looked in the head pipe and seen nothing, must have been removed.

I was told there is two more around the reed valve and carb, could someone be more specific of the location and what they look like?

Indiana Sam.

hello,

just got a 2004 mont and found 3 restricters......is there a 4th between mid box and silencer because I couldn't see anything obviouse. Also will I need to change jetting?

There is a restrictor between Mid-Box and silencer, its a thick washer welded with a couple of dabs in the exit from the mid-box.

As to whether you take it out or not, well that's a bit of a debate. Lots of people do, and a good number don't. You don't need to change jetting, although a little tweak on the fuel screw may be required.

Personally I think that it works better in the mud with the restrictor in. If you need a bit more engine response then take it out. On my '01 I bored it out by about 2mm and it was a good compromise - I have left it in my '02 (04 porting) and haven't thought that I needed to take it out/modify it.

If you decide to take it out, push a shopping carrier down through the restrictor hole with one of the 'ears' left out then grind off the dabs of weld with a stone on a drill/dremil. Once the welds are remove pull on the ear and out come the restrictor and all the swarf. (Nice tip from TrialZone US :rolleyes: )

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice......I have left the mid box restrictor in place and have just completed the second trial on the Mont and it seem to have plenty of power at the moment. I am taking the opportunity to re-grease all of the suppension linkages whilst it is still new, is there anything else I should be doing while it is stripped down?