*nervously Waves* Hello All!

lucky7s

Hi all. Just stumbled across this site while looking for some info on my new (to me at least) Beta Techno 250. Thought i'd sign up and see what its all about :thumbup: I'm a total novice to the world of trials riding - got my first trials bike just last week! I got too envious of my 2 neighbors and their gas gas bikes, and seeing and hearing about the stuff they get up to and the apparent enjoyment they have on them was too much to ignore so i set about finding a cheapish starter bike to see what its like. I eventually picked up my '97 techno for the princely sum of 480 quid. She's been in the wars and has the scars to prove it but with a little tidying and setting up i think it'll be a sound bike :D Took it to my local abandoned army base today and gave it a shakedown.....quickly discovered that i'm no Dougie Lampkin, and that its much harder than skilled riders make it appear, but despite several pretty hard bails and some killer bruises i can confidently say i'm hooked - its the best fun i've had in ages!!!

Anyway, waffling a bit now, so a big hi to you all!!!

Welcome to the world of trials. If you can stick at it long enough to get yourself going, it's a hard sport to get out of your system. A fair few people have a break at some time in their life, but it's still in there and many come back to it.

One of the friendliest, if not THE friendliest motorsports, and one of the cheaper ones to get in to, although it may not seem like it at times.

These forums are great when you're starting out. If the answer's not already out there ready to be searched for, then it won't be more than a couple of replies away once you shove it up on here for everyone to see.

Good luck chap, see you around.

P.S. Guessing game - where ya from - my two guesses, Salisbury area, Hereford area. Wherever you are there's bound to be something in your area.

Edited by bikespace

I live in M.O.D central lol - just outside Bath in Wiltshire, and there's a couple of derelict and abandoned bases within a short ride (5minutes). Its a good learning ground for me because its quiet, has a broad range of terrain, from inside buildings to woods and assault course tracks, and the police leave you alone to get on with it. a few of my mates ride there regularly so we'll hopefully be able to meet up there so i can pick up some stuff. I'm keen to learn bike control but its a steep learning curve without seeing how its done.

Stuff i've found wrong with my bike so far includes a sticky carb float, minor fire damage....probably caused by the sticky carb float at some point because it just drips fuel out randomly from the overflow, the header tank doesnt hold pressure because the thread on it is so mauled that the cap doesn't tighten down fully, clogged plug from too much 2stroke oil i suspect, and general visual shabbiness. None of this can dampen my enthusiasm though - i love a project and i'll soon have it fettled and looking presentable hopefully. The engines a belter though so its nt all doom and gloom

If you want to learn about riding trials you should get yourself booked onto a Steve Saunders Trials School! Not speaking from personal experience but I have been and watched and it looked like so much fun I was tempted! Why settle for anything less than the best teaching you?!

His website has a link from Trials Central - think its SES (Saunders Extreme Sport). :thumbup:

Ah the Beta carb issues have been beat to death. Usually it isn't a sticky float. What usually happens is that because the carb gets bounced around and sits at a steep angle fuel gets up into the vent tubes. Since the tubes are long enough to go below the float bowl they act as siphons. There are a couple of different fixes. There is one that involves drilling out an alternate vent system. The other is just basic setup and takes about 15 minutes. What I've done to all my bikes is the 15 minute fix. I originally nipped a hole into the vent tubes near the top. Now I just cut them shorter. If you're not likely to submerge the bike they're kind of extraneous anyway. The other thing I did was adjust the floats so that with the float bowl off and the carb upside down the brass arms that the float pins contact should be level with the body adjusted with the tang between the pivot posts that closes the valve. The other adjustment limits the travel of the floats and can be adjusted with the little tang that sticks up next to one of the pivot posts. When the float valve is fully open the brass arms that the float pins contact should sit at ~45 degree angle. Basically pointing at the right angle corner formed by the pilot jet housing and the main jet housing. Be careful that the floats aren't rubbing on the float bowl gasket. I don't think I've ever replaced a Mikuni float bowl gasket.

The full text of Billy Trainor's excellent suggestions which taught me is here

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=310

Welcome to the sport. I hope you have as many fun years doing this as I have.