British Champ Forum - Rugby

jimmyl

Not wanting to steal anybodies thunder but this Saturday is the British Championship organisers/riders etc forum in rugby to discuss this years championship and review last years.

Having attended last year I found this an informative day with sensible discussion.

I guess riders and importers have been contacted and views requested but as C of C for one of the rounds was wondering if anybody had any burning issue that they feel we as organisers should look to address in 2008 (trying to avoid the what rules debate etc).

i think thay should scrap the practise lap, waste of time, as i have ridden the rounds since the practise lap was introduced more and more riders arnt turning up to it, if you do you have the problem of having to find somewhere to stay, and having the saturday off work, and then even if you do the practise lap when it comes to the trial the sections arnt the same anyway, (no offence to the clerk of the course) some might say that having the practise lap 'runs' the sections in, but as we all know that there arnt that many people riding anyway.

Put at least 1 round back onto the National Course (1 lap 40+ sections) I know that the youth will not be able to ride but the youth part of it is not a championship. It is only for experiance.

Have a team of dedicated observers to observe each round. Observers not assistants.

Increase the entry fee for minders.

im all up for the 'good old national' format. you only get 5youths riding anyway, and they have there own championship, the youths and the top dogs on the main route always argue the fact that they 'nned' the brit champs to be run like the world rounds, as we all know the world rounds are just a circus now and if your not on a fully run team you cant really ride the rounds, unless you are graced with winning the lottery. the ACU always seems to listen to the top 5 on the main route and go with what ever they say, but the rest of the entry pay there 25quid to, so at the moment the brit champs averge 50 riders per round, if it went back to jack wood style trial you could attact 200, easy. sack off a poxy 8round series, have a 20 round series including, jack wood, victory, allan, travers, white rose, bemrose, clevedon, vic britton, colmore, nothern experts, etc etc. the trials run anyway, they dont even need to alter them, brit champs dont need to be 'hop' 'hop' 12 foot step, in british champs rounds its always the same people at the top, so its always a 3horse race, but wouldnt it be better if it was run on a national format so someone like dan thorpe or chris pearson who hold there own in the national trials had a chance of topping a british round? find a true british champion, not a 'big rock riding' champion? i think 195 riders would be up for it but 5 wouldnt.

"the ACU always seems to listen to the top 5 on the main route and go with what ever they say........."

It seems you have been listening to the barrack room lawyers, or is it through actual experince of attending one of the forums.

Yes they (Trials Committee) do listen to the top 5 plus any other competitor, clubs, importers or anyone with an interest in the Championship. If they _ Competitors, clubs, importers or anyone with an interest - turn up or send a letter with their concerns or suggestions they are discusssed on the day.

I have attended 3 of the last 4 and our club has been represented at the last 4. We have listened, prior to attending, what the riders want, what our club would like to see as a promoter, and what we believe is best for the Championship. In some cases we have persuaded other in to our way of thinking or have been persuded to change our way of thinking.

Just because you dont get what you want does not make the forums a wsate of time.

All the clubs who put on these championships either send a representaive or details on what the think is the best way forward, some they win

At one time I agreed with the 'no practice lap' but listening to comments from riders and organisers at one of the forums my mind was changed.

Going back to putting it all on National type trials, you say it would attract 200 riders. Is that on 1 course? If it to be a true Solo championship it would have to be 1 course. Do we as a sport want 200 riders riding around areas like The Dales? 200 riders plus 200 support vehicles plus ramblers plus spectators I dont so.

How many of these 200 would be riding the event legal? I know it is not the clubs resposability if the machines / riders are not road legal but in the end any problems come back to the club.

Remember dont listen to 'hear say'. Get the facts right then post an artical on your own experiance of running a British Solo Championship or even a National with 200 riders.

Come along with constructive comments (Good or bad) on Saturday. I am sure you will be made welcomed.

There has been talk of bringing back the 'Masters' route!

IMHO this would only dilute the current series even more, with a few riders dropping down from the top class this year, it should make for an interesting and tough year in the Experts with 5 or six riders capable of the win, more like a true british championship.