Bike Rack For A 306 Gti.. Gotta Get There Fast !

magicmat

Cheers for all the replies guys,

Really appreciate it, not sure what ill do now, a trailer would be good as soon im going to have two bikes. But there more expensive and the space (i dont have tons of it at the mo) unless i could store it on its side......

Right lot to think about :thumbup: cheers guys

A guy on a Pug forum said that he had a 65kg crosser on the bike, friends in the bike and luggage, and it hit the bump stops on humpback bridges. So i may be ok.

Anyway. :D Cheers ! ;)

Edited by Magicmat

My 3 bike trailer hangs off some wall brackets in the garage with a strip of angle iron bolted across the brackets to keep it on there. As it is fairly heavy I use a long length of 3x8 clamped to where the lightboard goes to pivot it off so I am not lifiting all the weight. The single bike trailer I have used to stand up on its end at the back of the garage again with wall brackets holding it up.

• 1 month later...
does anyone know if its possible to fit a bike rack to a swanneck towbar.

My Dave Cooper rack will be here soon. I've a Honda CRV with a swan neck towbar.

I will Post pics of how the rack gets adapted once the rack and the car get to meet.

Lordy - I used to cart a TY Mono all over the place on the back of a Citroen AX Gt! :rolleyes: At night the hedlights werent much good as they pointed skywards even with them adjusted down.

It was a company car. ;)

Edited by dabber

Put the rack on,

Got a wittle towbar and a rack of ebay which looks as though someones made it. abit wobbly but does the job a treat.

The car aint quite so quick anymore ! haha

Front end sits alittle high but its not bad and i cant hear the back wheels rubbing when i go over bumps, so for now im sorted ! :rolleyes:

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

That rack looks a lot like my Kliponoff with a coat of paint. Worked fine for me for a few years.

Main problem I had was the pinch bolts which damaged the tubing enough to make it non-adjustable. Not so much a problem these days as it would only ever carry full size bikes.

I had a Peugeot 306 for about 8 years from new and never knew about the adjustable rear suspension :rolleyes: Doh!

the pinch bolts work ok, but i think if i was being anal, i might line it all up and then drill a hole through both tubes for the bolts to go through.

i've been told The only problem with lowering the back end of a 306 is that, if you just lower the torsion bar your putting more load on the 'rear load sensing valve' hence making it brake more at the rear = dodgy. You can lower it in another way so that it doesnt affect the sensory, apparently.

:rolleyes: but no im happy now so after six months of not going on my bike im finally back on it !

the pinch bolts work ok, but i think if i was being anal, i might line it all up and then drill a hole through both tubes for the bolts to go through.

Yeah that's what i decided i should have done, but only because I needed to adjust length permanently. If I was just using for one size of bike I'd have been happy to have it locked up solid.

I sort of wished I'd bought something like the Dave Cooper rack.

I paid about 90 quid for my Kliponoff, and it was a full towbar bolt job to take off once the pinch bolts had screwed things up.

In contrast my brother in law turned up with a Dave Cooper job he'd bought for a tenner second hand and removed both sides in about 10 seconds leaving a neat bracket in the middle - I was gutted :rolleyes:

I was thinking more of jacking the suspension up a bit rather than lowering, to level things out a bit?