Pre65 Scottish. So What Do You Carry Around With You?

old trials fanatic

This year i have been lucky enough to get an entry. As i have never ridden before in Scotland, competitively that is got stuck in a green bog last year just trying to get to my section to observe, what tools bits etc do you/should you carry round with you?

Also what do you prepare differently if anything on the bike?

Serious answers preferred but i'm sure old Slappers will have something to say as usual :rolleyes:

Serious answers preferred but i'm sure old Slappers will have something to say as usual :angry:

I'm obviously getting too predictable........:rolleyes: beer for the observers, large bribes for your single clean of the day.......... :angry:

If you want serious, even last year, I threw some basics in my bag just to run up the road to the dam. Couple of plugs, turds and a tube, couple of split links, and a brake lever. You never know...now if I'd put a spare silent block from the middle exhaust, I might have caught it before it fried the brake hose and ruined my brakes...could have got back down the Penstock road even quicker. :angry:

If it can go wrong, it certainly will in Scotland!

Bolts you thought were secure will fall out, inlet rubbers and exhaust mountings will fracture, spokes will break etc. etc.

Depending on your bike, how recently did you build it? will determine what you need to do.

My pre Scottish check list and preparation was always the same, full strip down of machine, drill and wire lock swinging arm bolts or nuts. Mount a second spare coil and plug lead somewhere close to the other one. New tires, tubes and security bolts and clean the rims then tape them to stop spokes coming loose. New sprockets and chain, and tensioner spring if required. Check underside of tank for rubbing and fit extra cushioning if needed.... a fuel leak is the end! How old are the Handlebars? ..... fit new ones. Grips, fit a new set and glue! Take a poly tube and push it through the bars from the dummy side leaving 1/2 inch protruding (a syphon tube just in case). What state are levers and cables? Always fit new cables and secure the old ones (if useable) to them. Tape the operating ends to keep Scotland out! Fit a new Throttle cable and carry the old one as a spare. Fit a spare lever on the downtubes somewhere, it will double for both. Make sure all nuts and bolts are either self locking or have a dab of lock tite on them. Fit new spindles if they don't come out easily or emery and grease the old ones. New Brake shoes? and emery and grease the actuators.

In your "carry on luggage" tubes, shorty tire levers, a pump or Co2 bottles, tape, most used spanners for your machine, screwdriver with cork. Tin of goodies containing split links, split pins, spare nuts and bolts for (fenders,stays etc) STRONG cable ties to bodge the unexpected. Spare plug and P.spanner. A couple of clean rags one for your hands and one to layout the bits you are repairing ...... a lost part in the rocks and heather is hard to find!

Whatever you can prevent now will save you hours on the moors!

That's what I did for my 8 rides and more importantly 8 finishes

Tony

Hi Guy's

Hi OTF.

All that Tony said sounds about right, But you may have to up the horse power of the motor to carry that lot.

The way you prepare your bikes I would not worry, Just get out there and enjoy your ride, Anyway Alans behind you,so he would sort any breakdowns. Might get up to take some photos,you never know.

Good luck mate. enjoy.

Regards.Charlie.

Hi Guy's

Hi OTF.

All that Tony said sounds about right, But you may have to up the horse power of the motor to carry that lot.

The way you prepare your bikes I would not worry, Just get out there and enjoy your ride, Anyway Alans behind you,so he would sort any breakdowns. Might get up to take some photos,you never know.

Good luck mate. enjoy.

Regards.Charlie.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've always liked the old Paras motto P.P.P.P.P.P. so really just intend to carry whatever fits into a bum bag spare levers, cables, plug and a chain link and splitter and keep me fingers crossed :angry:

Main concern will be fuel but will see. Alans having some "big tanks" built but as i'm in the process of moving that may not be possible for the one event.

After the first day give te old girl a good service and check over.

After all it's only two consecutive days of what would be a Classic event.

Still open to any suggestions though :rolleyes:

Main concern will be fuel but will see. Alans having some "big tanks" built but as i'm in the process of moving that may not be possible for the one event.

Paul, I think there enough scope on the route both days to get to parc ferme for a top up, have a look at the route I sent you last year, I don't think they'll be hugely dissimilar

Donald

Paul, I think there enough scope on the route both days to get to parc ferme for a top up, have a look at the route I sent you last year, I don't think they'll be hugely dissimilar

Donald

Thanks Donald thats what i was thinking too. If not i can always nick some fuel out of your Beta assuming you've put some more in since last year? Seem to remember you running on fumes back to the car park :shutup: