Silencer Repacking

gasgasthermo

hi i am about to repack my silencer and was wondering what packing to use.

also i was wondering if you just drill out the rivets, remove the end cap, then hook out all the old packing and then poke packing back in then put the end cap back on. or dose the middle tube come out and then you wrap that in packing? how tight do u wrap the packing also ?? thanks in advance :banana2:

I just ordered some exhaust packing for my Beta - hoping it'll cure the smoky exhaust :banana2:

The stuff i got off ebay is called flatmat and it comes in a sheet. Works out just under a fiver delivered. My understanding is that you wrap this sheet around the baffle tube and secure it with lockwire then push the baffle back into place and re-rivet the end cap back on. I'd be interested to see what other peoples methods are though :banana2:

This is what i'd do for the end can, but not sure about the middle section. Cut the end off neatly along the weld, repack it, then fabricate a sleeve from ali sheet to fit inside the main body of the can. Drill and rivet the sleeve in place then fit the end cap in place and drill and rivet that to the sleeve. Not as tidy as getting it re-welded but should do the trick :banana2:

The best and simplist way to repack the rear silencer on your gas gas is

1. ring Dot or Jude or others at Gas Gas UK and order a bag of silentsport repackaging material

2. drill off the rivet heads and and remove the end can

3. remove the old packaging and baffle and dispose of the oily waste - bit messy be sure to note what way the baffle sits as you need to put it back in the same way - it is slighty bent at an angle at both ends

4. put the baffle back in and pack the silentsport in around the bafle tamping it down with a piece of wood making sure you get it in the thin gap at the sides of the baffle - from experience 2/3 of the bag of silentsport is a perfect amount for 1 silencer - keep whats left for the next time

5. squeeze the end can back on with a bit of material inside it and pop rivet back in place

this is a proven method i have used over half a dozen times and i haven't heard of a better method as yet

The best and simplist way to repack the rear silencer on your gas gas is

1. ring Dot or Jude or others at Gas Gas UK and order a bag of silentsport repackaging material

2. drill off the rivet heads and and remove the end can

3. remove the old packaging and baffle and dispose of the oily waste - bit messy be sure to note what way the baffle sits as you need to put it back in the same way - it is slighty bent at an angle at both ends

4. put the baffle back in and pack the silentsport in around the bafle tamping it down with a piece of wood making sure you get it in the thin gap at the sides of the baffle - from experience 2/3 of the bag of silentsport is a perfect amount for 1 silencer - keep whats left for the next time

5. squeeze the end can back on with a bit of material inside it and pop rivet back in place

this is a proven method i have used over half a dozen times and i haven't heard of a better method as yet

The SilentSport packing is great stuff and I've used it ever since it came out. The standard sheet packing works well for round silencers but just about all Trials silencers are oval, so you can't just wrap it around the core and stuff it back in. SilentSport is in a bag and loose so it's easy to poke into the oval can (the center perforated core of the final muffler should be taken out and cleaned). You don't need to pack SilentSport very tight like the sheet packing, in fact they recommend you don't. Before SilentSport came out, packing an oval Trials muffler with sheet packing rated up there with changing tubeless tires in the mud for me, now, not so bad.

Jon