2003 Txt 280 Pro

tomskiy

Hi everyone.

The chain on my 2003 280 Pro is on it's last legs! When I replace it, I like the idea of running the bike with an O-Ring drive chain. Has anyone had any experiences, good, bad or indifferent with an O-Ring chain on a Pro.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

The O ring chain is as described, too heavy for a trials bike, also a little too wide to be comfortable in the tensioner block. Stay with a good quality 520 heavy duty chain and look after it, either a Renthall or DID 520HD.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks for the advice Guys,

It was just a thought, as all I seem to do is remove, clean, re-lube and re-fit my chain.

As for the suitability of O-Ring chains for trials bikes, A. I'll never be good enough to notice

any extra drag and B. doesn't the Montesa 4rt come with an O-Ring chain as standard?

One more thing, what are the standard sprocket sizes for the 2003 TXT 280 Pro.

Thanks again.

Tom.

Thanks for the advice Guys,

It was just a thought, as all I seem to do is remove, clean, re-lube and re-fit my chain.

As for the suitability of O-Ring chains for trials bikes, A. I'll never be good enough to notice

any extra drag and B. doesn't the Montesa 4rt come with an O-Ring chain as standard?

One more thing, what are the standard sprocket sizes for the 2003 TXT 280 Pro.

Thanks again.

Tom.

Tom,

The 03' Pro usually is a 11/42 sprocket setup (I think some of the new Pro's come with 11/41's). You can also probably get one of the new thin-plate X-ring chains that will have little drag, will fit through the chain tensioner block and will transmit power, over time, more efficently than a standard chain. There are various theories on chains from (A) buy cheap standard and replace often, to (Z) buy big wide expensive o-ring and hog out the tensioner block to fit, so choose what appeals to you. I can't remember what brand the X-ring was I looked at, but I brought a short length of the stock Iris GasGas chain to compare and it was essentially the same width, but expensive. I'll try to get down to the dealer and have one of the parts guys look again for me and let you know what I find.

Jon