Honda Four-stroke Finale Engines

not ron

I have gone back to the book " Four-Stroke Finale " to check some engine facts and am more confused than when I started. I understand the 1976 TL250 and the 1981 RTL 360 but between the two I get confused. What capacity or capacities were the short stroke and long stroke engines? It looks like all the long stroke engines were 4 valve but I cannot be sure it looks like the short stroke engines were 2 valve?

Can anyone provide any clarity?

The original long stroke 305cc motors were stroked TL250 type engines - probably using a crank from a XL350?? - as that would give the 305cc retaining the original bore size. I'd assume they kept the 4 valve head used by the TL250.

The big bore, short stroke 305 was a different engine altogether, no idea what it used as its basis, maybe a complete one-off. It had the gear lever high up on the gearbox and they were supposed to be 2 valve engines. These later evolved into the full 360 by using a longer srtoke (about the same as the TL250 stroke)

Whether these short stroke engines were always 2 or sometimes 4 valve is a question you'll probably never get the answer to unless you are on good terms with the man himself - S H Miller - he should know but not sure who else would

hi not ron i would agree with woody i own a fraser honda ( see fraser honda) and for quite a while i didn't know what the engine size was . well i have just had to replace the final drive oil seal so it was a good chance to measure the engine. my engine has a ally plate on the bottom of the cylinder and when i measured it it was 74mm x 71 so it has the bore of a 250 and the crank out of a 350 about the same cc as a bored out 250 but it is a longer stroke i would imagine the two would be very different to ride although they have the same cc's hope this helps .

zarkoff.