It Worked, Now It Does'nt

scorpalad

Hi all, I have an 05 sy250. Went out on it yesterday for first time after buying it and had a lovely day. Bike worked well all day then hosed it down and now nothing. There is a spark some fuel is getting through, not sure how much should be comming through when put hand over barrel. Went through stream quite abit bit not to deep. Any info would be very helpful asd I think the bike is lovely to ride. Steve

Hello scorpalad,

My friend has the same 05 bike and had a similar problem, there are 2 areas to look.

Check the thermoswitch connections are not shorted at the bottom of the radiator - not really much of a problem but it did seem to affect the bike when wet. T'other area is in the wiring harness, under the tank/seat area there is a plug to socket connecter which has a short loop of wire, this can sometimes be a problem in that it is not making a good contact. I have binned the loop socket and cut off the plug and joined the two wires together with a piece of contact block, no more problems. I had the same problem with an 07 SY recently. You'll see what I mean when you have a look.

Bye, PeterB.

I would check the air filter, it's under the lowest point of the "seat" and really is a effective trap for dirt mud and grime in the water you might have went through. You could have also got it all wet, and it's just not able to pass much air.

Other than that, I can't think of anything likely.

Jon

Hi, thanks for input. Have checked rad wires seem fine, loop connector seems fine. The air box did have a bit of water and muck in the bottom and I noticed some muck on edge of enterance to carb so maybe some has got in to it. If this is the case I will need t ocheck, so next Q how do you remove carb the easiest way. When it is off this will be the first time of looking at a carb what am I looking at and what should I be looking for. Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm pretty sure that the shock top mount needs to come out to allow the carb to be removed, just pivot the shock out of the way on the bottom mount. That's after removing the airbox and silencer. The entire carb must be stripped out, all jets and the pilot screw. First, screw in the pilot screw to determine how many turns out it is, then remove. With everything removed, blow clear all the carb passageways, compressor is good for this, then re-assemble. Check if there is a petrol filter either in the carb or in line and if this is clear.

You may need silicone RTV for the silencer.

Did you check the loop wire connection for continuity? An SY I rode looked ok but had a problem loop causing problem starting and misfiring. When replaced, all was well.

Bye, PeterB.

No worries Mate

If you've not stripped a carb before get yourself set up in clean area - kitchen paper on the bench is good idea - clean and it helps you see all the bits.

Turn the carb upside-down, undo the four screws on the float bowl and lift the off the bowl. The floats are held in by a little rod, pull it out and check how the needle valve (it looks like a little brass plumb bob) slips into a grove on the brass float tab. If you're ordering a fuel filter you might order a new needle valve too. They have seat at the pointy end that wears out so a new one now is good preventative maintenance.

Paul Mac

• 2 weeks later...

I find that if you are getting spark (kick it over with the plug out & grounded) and gas (plug is wet) then usually it will at least show signs of starting if you clean and dry the plug good and try starting it with very little gas.

If it "pops" some but runs erradic, I suggest you clean the carb, but in cleaning the jets, blowing them out with compressed air won't do. You must get a very fine wire (unbraid the threads of a motorcycle wire) and ream it thru the jets completely. This is because the gas nowadays has Ethanol which clogs the small jets easily, and won't blow out with compressed air.

This happened to a bike I bought and it ran perfectly afterwards.

Good luck.