Gas Gas & Beta Issues

jmck

I am not looking for a "my bikes better than yours" thread, but I would like to find out about known problems/issues with the current Gas Gas and Beta models.

Please, no bike bashing, that is not my intent, just things like the stator problems that have haunted Beta for a while, fork/shock problems, etc.

I had Gassers for 12 years (thats 2 bikes a year My girlfriend also rides) They are nice bikes to ride with some quality issues (probably due to being built to a price!) which usually surface within the warranty period if they are going to.. out of over 20 bikes in that time I had to strip engines 3 times which is not rocket science just inconvenient. You do need to fettle/ love the gasser a bit i.e. simple routine maintainance like cleaning the carb out regularly. We now have a Beta rev 3 200 's which I would say are generally a little better build quality.. I have yet to remove a carb and they continue run really sweet. The only "problems" we have had (and it may be down to bad luck.. certainly dodgy riding skills) is breaking clutch and brake hoses we have broken one of each in last 5 months and none previously (been riding in competition for over 40 years now!) Even so we have found a reasonably cost effective repair using Goodridge 600 series parts If anybody reading this has similar experience its worth Knowing that all clutch & brake master cylinders are M10 thread for the fittings. I have a mate who 's just bought one new and he is currently on his 3rd front exhaust pipe due to pinholes in the welding (built to a price again?) Hope this helps in your decision making process

I had a 1995 Beta Techno for three years (bought used in 1998 and never had a problem with it. I bought a 2001 Rev 3 (new) and competed on it for 5 years and never had a problem with it. I bought a 2005 Rev 3 (new leftover in 2006) competed with it for past 2 years (beat the crap out of it) and only had one problem. The clutch cover leaked oil when new. Dealer ground a burr off of the edge of the cover, fixed the problem. Bike runs great no problem. Never had a stator problem (knock on wood) or any other serious, costly problem.