08 Beta 4t Gearing

barcota

• 1 year later...

09 300 4T with 11/42 sprocket combination - and finding that I'm using first for everything as second feels a touch too long after my rev3 where second was my favourite gear.

As a gearing numpty, can someone tell me if a swap to a 10t front is the first / best option (rather than a different rear - whats the difference???)

I don't want to screw up the current usability of first - rather make second a more viable alternative (considering the power available)

Edited by Fivemeister

Since I could not find a 10 tooth countershaft sprocket either in Europe or here in the USA I had to keep the 11 tooth. The sprocket for the four stroke was changed from that used on the two strokes by providing an offset milled out area on the outside. Changing from an 11 tooth to a 10 tooth using the same rear sprocket (42) would result in an overall ratio of 4.20. I settled on the 11 and increased the rear sprocket to (44) for an overall gear ratio of 4.40. This turned out to be the perfect ratio for this bike.

I settled on the 11 and increased the rear sprocket to (44) for an overall gear ratio of 4.40. This turned out to be the perfect ratio for this bike.

According to the chart think you mean 4.00? So answering my own question - in order of difference - least to most 11/44 10/41 10/42?

post-1975-1236027444.jpg

Edited by Fivemeister

Hi there

As you will see from your chart, a reduction of 1 tooth on the front is roughly equivalent to an increase of 4 teeth on the rear. Before you proceed, consider costs ( a front sprocket is cheaper than a rear ) and bear in mind that a larger rear may mean adding links to the chain ( it is easier to shorten a chain ). Having said that it is best practice to fit a new chain with new sprockets anyway.

Trialsoldtimer