Which Ty?

captainfur

Personally, I'd say the cost of the 200 conversion for the TY175 isn't worth it. The difference in performance is barely noticeable, if at all. A couple of my mates had theirs done and there was no worthwhile improvement.

Good to know.

As Tony has said, in today's classic/vintage events there isn't really anything a TY175 can't cope with. Even in our national classic championship here in the UK which has some pretty difficult sections, a standard TY175 can cope with most stuff as the sections are technical in terms of difficulty rather than big sections that require big power. They aren't as difficult as the national sections of the era for which a 175 wouldn't have been an ideal choice.

That being said it seems like when anyone asks which TY to get the pat answer is the 250? The 175 is so light and controllable that it seems it would be viable candidate. Was it just because later 250s were more developed?

I like a bigger bike because I can wick on the power and get me out of some of the uncomfortable situations I tend to find myself in. Some, not all. :banana2:

That being said it seems like when anyone asks which TY to get the pat answer is the 250? The 175 is so light and controllable that it seems it would be viable candidate. Was it just because later 250s were more developed?

You'd find the opposite here though. The TY250 didn't have a good reputation at all over here and was not considered anywhere near as competitive as the Spanish bikes when it was introduced. As other models developed the TY stayed pretty much the same and became more and more overlooked as it became less and less competitive against the others - until the Majesty. I know a few people who rode TY175 at the time (with boost bottles...) in preference to the 250 and who even sold a 250 to go back to a 175.

I'd never actually ridden a TY250 until a few months ago when I tried a mate's bike. We'd removed the flywheel weight and I was surprised at how nice it was to ride given what I'd heard about them. It wasn't as good as the late 70s bikes from other manufactures but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. The motor was reasonable torquey with the weight off, it steered well and was quite nimble over the rocky sections we had at the time. Not too disimilar to my Ossa - no surprise there...

My personal choice would be the 250 but I still think that the 175 is a perfectly capable bike for today's classic sections. One will pull me around and I'm 17 plus stones (245 pounds)

I know what you mean about the bigger motor - the 325 Bul is a superb engine. I'm building a type 92 at the moment. Can't wait to get it done.

You'd find the opposite here though. The TY250 didn't have a good reputation at all over here and was not considered anywhere near as competitive as the Spanish bikes when it was introduced. As other models developed the TY stayed pretty much the same and became more and more overlooked as it became less and less competitive against the others - until the Majesty. I know a few people who rode TY175 at the time (with boost bottles...) in preference to the 250 and who even sold a 250 to go back to a 175.

And yet the only people to answer the initial question have said 250, aside from yourself (although this isn't a perfect poll, it's similar to other impressions I've gotten from threads on TC). I will say the early 250s were a bit wide, especially at the engine cases. I believe the later ones where much narrower.

I know what you mean about the bigger motor - the 325 Bul is a superb engine. I'm building a type 92 at the moment. Can't wait to get it done.

That's what I'm working on, a M92, nearly have all of the horrible red paint off the frame.

IMG_2041.jpg

(sorry to have stuffed a Bultaco into a TY thread)

Thanks for you assistance so far...

How would a Ossa TR77 250 be for this use? How hard is it to get parts?

Cheers

CaptainFur

The TR77 is a very nice twinshock bike, but not many were sold in Australia. That one on eBay at present is the only one I have seen in Australia for many years. At the time they were available new, the popular bikes for trials were the Montesa 348, Yamaha TY250 and Bultaco Sherpa T. Parts for all OSSA dirt bikes are readily available but the main suppliers are in the US, UK and Spain. Many of the TR77 parts (wheels, forks, engine parts) are interchangable with other popular (in Australia) OSSA models like the Explorer and MAR but parts specific to that model (ie the exhaust) would not be easy to source second hand locally.

It would be fine to use for trials and mountainous trail riding.

David Lahey