Tacometer 4rt

sectiononecleaner

I managed to borrow a Snap-on tacho/timing gun off a friend to set mine. I was suprised to see that I had it ticking over at 1950 rpm. Anyway the Snap on gun has a nice HT lead clamp, just take care to position it so it doesn't catch the fan when it comes on. :banana2:

hi

glad you posted this as I was about to order the draper one, whats the problem with it? is it just to big to get in there?, as it defo goes round the lead is this only a problem with the mont? or with all trials bikes? sorry for the twenty questions.

cheers

whiz

Edited by whiz

hi there, it goes round the lead on left side near coil, but its too close to take a reading, you need it as far away as possible. You cannot get in on right hand side near the spark plug. I think you will be fine on a two stroke. If you want one just let me know as i have one which i cannot use. just IM me please

Also what snap on model was you on about please

A guy at my local club has one you touch in cyclinder head and it takes a reading. Asked him where to get one and he said he got of ebay, but they dont seem to be on. Took the name and everything, googled it but nothing came up so im stuck

does anyone know where i can a rev tachometer for my 4rt so as i can check and set tickover. I know there is a draper one on market but no good as you cannot get the unit round the ht lead to take a measurement.

:banana2: Please help

The karting world use rev counters for single cylinder engines

I have seen them for sale on ebay

The same model Timing Light/ Tacho is on ebay at the moment. MT1621A

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNAP-ON-TIMING-LIGHT...1QQcmdZViewItem

It'll be interesting to see how much it sells for ?

ok which ones are you on about and also how do they work? Do you connect up to ht lead or place on cyclinder head and pick up inductively

Also seen these karting ones, I believe they attach onto the HT lead ?

GJ :banana2:

I found Draper tachometers useless, had one managed to get it round the ht lead but didn't work, complained and was sent a second foc, that didn't give a useable reading either. I found 2 solutions 1. Automotive multimeter often have a tachometer setting small croc clip on the ht lead 2. Pulse Engine Tachometer Pet-2000dx. Just hold it near the ht lead and it gives you a reading (you do need to double the reading as the pet-2000 can only be set to four stroke 2 cylinder or two stroke 1 cylinder) but that

post-2739-1203366219.jpg

Edited by fantic156

does anyone know where i can a rev tachometer for my 4rt so as i can check and set tickover. I know there is a draper one on market but no good as you cannot get the unit round the ht lead to take a measurement.

:) Please help

My mate and I both have ABW 70882 units which are also to big to clip over the HT lead near the plug where they should be placed for an accurate reading.

His solution was to simply cut an old HT lead with plug cap and using a small screw fasten a spare plug top fitting on the other end.

To use simply pull bike plug lead off the plug and slip the extension lead in between bike plug cap and the plug.

Works fine and give you plenty of room to use inductive units.

The pet 2000 looks an even handier unit.