4rt Kickstart

benzman113

Well how many of you have had the 05 4rt kickstarter malfunction :rotfl: yep i got it this weekend . so i have sriped as req, easy to do just follow the book you cannot go wrong

to my fright inspection of the case stop it has looked as though you have placed a hard blow with an axe to it ;) not much choice to fix this one so i have sent the bike to have the lug repaired today this is at a engine welding workshop who stich & repair heads & engine blocks. On inspection they said it is a 90% possable chance to repair it or next line of attack is a crankcase replacement, to me this is certanly a weak spot considering that you have a forged steel stop gear onto alloy case ? i have heard of it a few times, rumour has it from a good source that an 08 4rt has had this happen too ! I will keep you posted on what the out come is. Ps all you 4rt owners make sure that you never let that kickstart fly back to the stop lug , under any cercumstances what soever or you will be sorry.

Edited by benzman113

Hi,

It is a known problem if you are talking about the bolt NR 12 from the partslist Page E15.

A few days ago this message was on a France forum which describes the problem:

Solution should be the replacement of the bolt with a socket bolt.

Notice de service no 05/05 du 1/02/2005

Montesa honda demande de rappeller en concession toutes les cota 4rt vendues du no de serie VTDMT04A05E000003 au no de serie VTDMT04A05E001802, afin de remplacer une vis se trouvant sur le carter central deriere l'embrayage, et servant a fixer une plaque pour le retour du rocher du kick.

le fait de donner un coup de gaz au demarrage qui peu peut provoquer un retour de kick d'une tres forte intensit

Edited by fantic303

well I got it back today & it looks perfectly repaired the lug has been built back up to size & the thread has been restored & a hardened steel 6mm bolt fitted, so I have put it back together, you would not know it that there are two alignment dots to line up on the kick start ratchet & also on the clutch pack be careful as they are there also, watch out for the locating dowels on the clutch pack case cover as they are a loose fit & can be easily lost so it was put back together with fresh oil & water coolant put back & bingo back too as should be, one thing I have noticed that on completion of repair that the kick start is slightly further back than it was, this maybe a telltale that the lug is damaged when you see the kick start creeping forward worth a look at The company that has done the repair are called lockstich at Rochdale Lancashire Tel no 01706 372313 ask for paul. well i shall give the full mont at weekend to see if all bears well :mellow: