My 'new' Ty175

johnnyrob

Hi Guys

I've just picked up my new (very old) twin shock Ty175 to join my FZR400RR 3TJ & RD350LC. :rolleyes: I intend to use the TY for light fun use off road with my pal on his fantic 305.

Any advice on where I can read up more on the TY175 or what manuals are available will be greatly received. :lol:

I've no manual for the bike and have found that info appears rather scarce for these bikes - which suprises me very much. To be honest I don't even know how old my bike is (it's not road registered).

I've paid

Edited by JohnnyRob

Does it look like this, 76 model

http://pages.infinit.net/glap/images/Y1976_ty175.jpg

I know Appleyards of Yorkshire got a whole bunch of silver grey ones (old stock) bought the job lot and sold them for about 600 quid each in the mid eighties, think the price of most models then was about 1500.

Does it look like this, 76 model

http://pages.infinit.net/glap/images/Y1976_ty175.jpg

I know Appleyards of Yorkshire got a whole bunch of silver grey ones (old stock) bought the job lot and sold them for about 600 quid each in the mid eighties, think the price of most models then was about 1500.

Yes- that looks very similar, although mine has the aftermarket all on one tank & seat unit.

No lighting kit and running nicely. From what I can work out its either a Ty175B or C as the engine / frame number starts with '525' (matching numbers :rolleyes:)

I'll get some pictures up tonight. I'm well pleased with it - she runs really well and apart from a slight bit of damage on the break lever, no light kit or front number plate she's in really good order - V. good Pirellii tyres and a recent chain and Talon gold rear sprocket. The side stand is the best bit!

Don't have the exact figures in front of me, but the TY175 is very light. Pretty sure it's as light as the modern bikes. Stateside, B&J Racing may have some Haynes manuals in stock. Andi, who runs a TY website has burned a CD with all of the factory manuals and parts list. Check him out at

http://www.ty.motorradklassiker.de/html/verteiler-e.htm

I believe he also has a CD up on ebay on a regular basis.

179/180 pounds sounds a bit on the light side for a TY175 that is ready to ride and has a sidestand. My TY175B has had the oil system and all the lighting and its wiring removed and weighs 186 pounds ready to ride with a near empty fuel tank. Maybe the fibreglass seat/tank unit makes a big difference? Mine still has standard steel tank and seat base. Maybe gravity pulls harder here in the southern hemisphere? Don't be tricked by the weight quoted in the Haynes manual. Modern tyres weigh a fair bit more than the crap Japanese Dunlop tyres on brand new TY175s so don't forget to add a bit for those modern Pirelli tyres.

The TY175 certainly feels a lot lighter to ride than other popular twinshock bikes of the era which generally weighed somewhere around 205 to 210 pounds ready for competition.

for mcman56

Yes early 1990s trials bikes such as Gas Gas do weigh about the same as a TY175.

David Lahey

Queensland Australia