Honda Tlr200 Service

stump magnet

just sold my sherco and bought a tlr what oil do you recomend for the engine + quantities, filter change frequency etc + where can i get air and oil filters from have only found tlr250 ones listed any other servicing advice would be appreciated and has anyone got a spare rear brake lever or know where to get one

Guest majestyman340

Try Gordon Farley Motorcycles, or if you are after special parts to improve the bike, BPS Engineering in France, who make the gorgeous tank seat units shown on one of the Honda's in the Spanish Championship thread.

if the clutch is horrible when bike gets hot,put in cb100 clutch plates.while you have case of you will see on end of crank alloy plate with 3 hard to get out phillips screws take of and clean inside,thats the oil filter needs doing once a year.best oil to use mobile one.it wont completely cure clutch but it will be much better.

Oil capacity - 1.5litres (from memory!), the quoted capacity and the level on dipstick do not really have much in common.

Change oil every trial or two trials - oil is cheap maintenance, judge it on how hard your bike is worked!

Me I use semi synthetic and change regularly.

Air filter 200 and 250 are same - clean regularly, every trial or two trials

Oil filter - mesh at drain plug - wash in petrol each time, there should be nothing in it when you take it out - if you start finding bits of rubber or plastic think of looking at cam chain tensioner.

The other filter is centrifugal in centre of clurtch, held in place by 3 screws, if you have just bought bike and dont know when it was last cleaned out take off petrol tank, drain carb, lay bike on side and take clutch cover off. Use a large cross head bit to remove screws, perhaps an impact driver will be used but filter is only alloy so watch out.

Wipe/clean out filter - you will be surprised how much crud is there if it aint been done for a long time, have a look at what you wash out, some alloy, some plastic bits will be present. Refit & rebuild. If you use bike a lot clean out every 6 months as a guess, if not yearly. If you do start seeing crud in mesh filter then think about stripping centrifugal one sooner.

I have also heard of using specific clutch plates but model I thought was used was CG125.

As for brake lever, make one!

Gordon

Guest majestyman340
Oil capacity - 1.5litres (from memory!), the quoted capacity and the level on dipstick do not really have much in common.

Change oil every trial or two trials - oil is cheap maintenance, judge it on how hard your bike is worked!

Me I use semi synthetic and change regularly.

Air filter 200 and 250 are same - clean regularly, every trial or two trials

Oil filter - mesh at drain plug - wash in petrol each time, there should be nothing in it when you take it out - if you start finding bits of rubber or plastic think of looking at cam chain tensioner.

The other filter is centrifugal in centre of clurtch, held in place by 3 screws, if you have just bought bike and dont know when it was last cleaned out take off petrol tank, drain carb, lay bike on side and take clutch cover off. Use a large cross head bit to remove screws, perhaps an impact driver will be used but filter is only alloy so watch out.

Wipe/clean out filter - you will be surprised how much crud is there if it aint been done for a long time, have a look at what you wash out, some alloy, some plastic bits will be present. Refit & rebuild. If you use bike a lot clean out every 6 months as a guess, if not yearly. If you do start seeing crud in mesh filter then think about stripping centrifugal one sooner.

I have also heard of using specific clutch plates but model I thought was used was CG125.

As for brake lever, make one!

Gordon

For a TLR clutch that actually works properly try the kit from B&J Racing in the States.................a friend of mine who now owns 6 Honda trials bikes, has fitted one, and really does make a big difference. He is also interested in the BPS tank seat unit for one of his bikes, but no response to emails sent to BPS, so wonder if anyone has details or pics of these tanks?