New Here: I'm Looking For Info On Cheetah Trials Bikes

farmer58za

Hi All

This is my first post. I'm located in Johannesburg South Africa.

I currently ride classic trials on a circa '67-71 BSA Bantam that I built up.

I am about to get a Cheetah Villiers trials bike which is mostly original and has some history, including participation in the Scottish six days. I believe that this brand was a "kit bike".

Does anyone have any pics or info that I may use to assist me to restore it correctly. I intend to ride this one in classic trials too.

Thanks in advance

David Haines

The bikes were I believe created and assembled in the Hampshire area by Bob Golner who owned a motorcycle shop in Denmead. The frames may have been made by Mick Whitlock of Hambledon near Denmead who was also responsible for many other superb trials frames and accessories. Bob is retired now, but Mick is still running an associated business near Petersfield.

Edited by micm

Hi All

This is my first post. I'm located in Johannesburg South Africa.

I currently ride classic trials on a circa '67-71 BSA Bantam that I built up.

I am about to get a Cheetah Villiers trials bike which is mostly original and has some history, including participation in the Scottish six days. I believe that this brand was a "kit bike".

Does anyone have any pics or info that I may use to assist me to restore it correctly. I intend to ride this one in classic trials too.

Thanks in advance

David Haines

If you know the approximate year and riding number, I can check if it was ridden in the SSDT and by whom.

Big John

Hi David,

If you can pm me with your your email I can send you all the info I have collected on them recently.

A Villiers Cheetah was my first ever trials bike back in 1969 when just 17 and I came across another on eBay, not far from home, a couple of years ago now. It has proven to be a useful aquisition and as competitive in it's original form as many of the newer James it competes with nowdays. Not genuine pre 65, as they were mainly '67 vintage I believe, but accepted in todays pre70 Two-Stroke class.

Andyrew

Guest majestyman340
The bikes were I believe created and assembled in the Hampshire area by Bob Golner who owned a motorcycle shop in Denmead. The frames may have been made by Mick Whitlock of Hambledon near Denmead who was also responsible for many other superb trials frames and accessories. Bob is retired now, but Mick is still running an associated business near Petersfield.

Does Mick make those super trick Honda RS chassis kits, and has anyone got any pics of the finished bike?

• 6 months later...
If you know the approximate year and riding number, I can check if it was ridden in the SSDT and by whom.

Big John

Hi Big John

After 6 months I finally got the bike. My wife heard me going on about the Cheetah and decided to buy it for me for my birthday. She phoned the seller behind my back, arranged to buy it and instructed him to tell me he'd had a change of heart about selling. I was gutted.

Last week they wheeled the bike in at my birthday party. What a present!

The bike/kit was bought new in 1967 from Bob Gollner. It was ridden by a MW Saintey who took it to South Africa in 1982.

The original sales receipt says the frame number was 1518 but my chassis number is 1569 which correlates to the UK documentation (Registration LRV 101 G - Registered on 05/11/68 to MW Saintey)

I have no idea when he was supposed to have competed in the SSDT

Regards

David