Bl**dy Bolts!

boner

Guys, just giving my lads TXT50 a service, but I'm finding a lot of the bolts incredibly difficult to undo.

The main problem at the moment is the oil drain plug in the sump. It won't budge. Was talking to someone yesterday, who said that some bikes have reverse threads on the sumps...

Would this be the case on the little gas gas?

Cheers - Matt.

Guys, just giving my lads TXT50 a service, but I'm finding a lot of the bolts incredibly difficult to undo.

The main problem at the moment is the oil drain plug in the sump. It won't budge. Was talking to someone yesterday, who said that some bikes have reverse threads on the sumps...

Would this be the case on the little gas gas?

Cheers - Matt.

Matt,

I'm not aware of any left-hand threads on any sump plugs (I can't quite figure out what the advantage would be). If it's an aluminum Allen plug like the larger GasGas Trials models (or any other bike) be sure to use an Allen wrench in good shape so the plug is not stripped out. It's common practice for T-handles, for example, when used often, to wear the sharp edges at the end and they will be prone to rounding out the plug (the mechanic will usually blame the part, but it's usually the fault of faulty tool maintenance and improper torque). Every once in a while grind off about 7-8mm from the end and lightly dress it, which will expose a new surface that will grip the inside of the plug, as designed, and you'll never have a problem with stripped plugs or capscrews. Most plugs are torqued to 9-10 ft lbs or 12-14 Nm, which is probably much less than riders think it needs.

Jon

Thanks for the advice Jon. Unfortunately it arrived a little too late!

The bike is now down the road with my local bike mechanic trying to dort out a semi-stripped out thread!

Must say, totally agree with your mantra that says it's easier to blame the parts rather than the tools. This was my first thought, bl**dy gas gas parts, crappy bolts etc.

But having read your post, yes, it probably my 10 year old (used and abused) socket set which is to blame.

Time to buy some new tools me thinks...

...now where's that snap-on catalogue...

Cheers - Boner.

Thanks for the advice Jon. Unfortunately it arrived a little too late!

The bike is now down the road with my local bike mechanic trying to dort out a semi-stripped out thread!

Must say, totally agree with your mantra that says it's easier to blame the parts rather than the tools. This was my first thought, bl**dy gas gas parts, crappy bolts etc.

But having read your post, yes, it probably my 10 year old (used and abused) socket set which is to blame.

Time to buy some new tools me thinks...

...now where's that snap-on catalogue...

Cheers - Boner.

Let me tell you, I've stripped out more than my share of fasteners. My problem is I develop a "personal relationship" with certain tools and they are the first ones I reach for and I really hate to replace them. I know I've got a 3/8th drive, 1/2", 6-point long socket I always use that has to be 45 years old at least. Darned if I know why, it must be the fit or balance or something else I can't figure out that causes certain tools to be my favorite.

Jon