Please Help. My Feet Are In Pain!

alfow1

Possibly getting to the bottom of this now?

I took the sump guard off earlier to replace some of the mounting bolts and noticed the end of a nipple showing on the underside, kicked the bike over a few times to start and a good bit of fuel jetted out of it. I'm assuming this nipple is part of an overflow to stop the crankcase flooding? With the nipple being blocked, the crank case couldn't drain itself, leading to the plug being flooded what seemed like a bit too easily. Any thoughts on this?

Got her running quite nicley now, although when warm she does take a while to return to idle and sometimes carry's on ticking over quite quickly. Fine when cold and the tickover is not only slower but is smoother too. Any thoughts please?

Ok, this is the ADV crankcase scavenge valve, basically a one way drain valve for the crankcase, doesn't actually do much, as your crankcase shouldn't need draining if the carb is set up properly and you are using the correct oil & ratio.

You need to find out why the case is flooding in the first place.

Update:

So i've had to get rid of the airbox altogether as the rubber hose was knackered beyond repair and getting a replacement seems as likely as winning the lottery. I have replaced it with a K&N type cone filter tucked up under the seat.

Been back to her a few times now and started with relative ease, after speaking to Peter Knight he reccomended running on 50:1 so changed that. No longer lets fuel out of the crankcase scavenge valve so that's got to be good.

Can anyone advise on how many turns out the airscrew on the carb should be? I've been told 1 1/4 but this seems a bit rich, don't want to seize her either! Any advice please??

Impossible to advise on airscrew, especially on an older bike which may have several worn components (and now no airbox), every bike was different even when new.

You just have to gradually home in on the settings until the bike is running sweet, and you can't seize it by having the wrong airscrew setting as this has little effect on the running of the engine once its revving a bit.

Good luck

• 2 months later...

Hi this is my first post ,i have just had the same problem with the climber stalling and not starting halfway round a muddy section, I could get the bike going again with a new plug or 20 mins of kicking over ( nearly broke my leg doing this after missing the kick start in temper and pile driving my leg striaght down into tarmac! ) this happen a couple of times and i thought i had bought a dud bike ,until some bright spake told me to send the stator to be checked ,low and behold it needed a re wind , job sorted kicks over 2nd time all the time now.

Edited by steve666