200f Same As 175f Or What?

andat

I am contemplating purchasing a new 2008 model 200F. Having read a couple of tests in TMX and YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE, I have some questions: (1) Is the designation '200' nothing more than a model year up-grade? (2) Having trawled through this forum, it seems that the 175F benefitted from so called 'Birkett Mods'. Does anybody know if the 200F now comes with Birkett Mods as standard or what? (3) What are the Birkett Mods as a matter of interest?

Finally, ground clearance looks a bit compromised with the engine sump, particulalry at the front. Has anyone found it to be problematic for club standard trials (bearing in mind I am what might be described as an 'advance wobbler' rather than a good clubman and don't do 'hard stuff')?

All feed-back is much appreciated. ;)

I have a 125 and I don't do the hard stuff myself, if there is a failure in any section I can say it is definitely rider and not the bike I would say the little Scorpa is an excellent bike. In the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE test they preferred the 125 over the 200 especially for a clubman type rider. The Birkett mods on the 125s include rejetting and exhaust baffle mod, also you can lighten the flywheel. I was told at a trial that the flywheel mod can cause it to stall easier. Not had mine done so it is just what I was told. I would have thought the mods are sorted on the latest bikes, although I know the clutch is either on or off but there is an adjustable handlebar lever you can buy or mod the clutch arm on the engine. A late TTR 125 arm does the trick but you need to partly strip the motor to fit it. You can ride a fair few sections as the bike is so soft without the clutch Having read the test I would say have a go on a 125 and see what you think. Cheers and let us know if you buy one. ;)

PS there was a 175 on ebay recently as new, it did not sell, I have the owners mobile if you PM me I will let you have it.

Edited by bo drinker

I am contemplating purchasing a new 2008 model 200F. Having read a couple of tests in TMX and YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE, I have some questions: (1) Is the designation '200' nothing more than a model year up-grade? (2) Having trawled through this forum, it seems that the 175F benefitted from so called 'Birkett Mods'. Does anybody know if the 200F now comes with Birkett Mods as standard or what? (3) What are the Birkett Mods as a matter of interest?

Finally, ground clearance looks a bit compromised with the engine sump, particulalry at the front. Has anyone found it to be problematic for club standard trials (bearing in mind I am what might be described as an 'advance wobbler' rather than a good clubman and don't do 'hard stuff')?

All feed-back is much appreciated. ;)

The 175F is 143cc engine, where as the 200F is 163cc. I had the 175F for a little over a year, and loved it. Yes, the front of the sump guard is lower, and can hit on very slow drop-offs, where you have no opportunity to carry the front end out a bit. On mine, I had changed the jetting, and modified the exhaust tube. And yes, I did remove all of the rods in the tube, on mine, with great results. As far as the clutch goes, the 175 and 200 should come with the hydraulic clutch. Even then, the performance can be a bit on or off, but there is a fix. There is a company in the US called B & J Racing that makes a clutch kit. The kit provides different plates and discs, which completely transform the clutch performance.

With the mods in place, I really loved mine, and was always blown away by exactly how much I could do on the bike. Being a small displacement 4-stroke, one can easily underestimate what it is capable of. Based upon your description of your riding style, you should find the bike very satisfying.

I've had both the 175 and the 200 (143/163) the 143 was a fantastic bike but the 200 is the buisiness especially the difference in the engine power and delivery. Clutch wise they both have the factory hydraulic clutch which I ride like a 2T with lots of stopping and balancing and I can't see any problems certainly better and lighter than most of the new stuff out there. The bash plate is a little low for my liking however I think for the occasional dab I might take on a slow drop off it makes up for it with a low center of gravity which = stability amd balance........... Does any body if the latest 200 bash plate fits a 07 200?

I've rode 6 trials this year and all i've done is put petrol in her and clean the airfilter what more can anyone ask for , oh and I won 4 out of 6 most of the competition being on 4RT's and Rev3's. I think I must of lost at least 2 points due to the low ground clearance.

Interesting reading,

Has anyone rode both the 250f and the 200? How do they compare?

I was contemplating getting the 250 but this thread has gotten me interested in the 200/175

also if you give a comment could you include your weight and riding level.

I've spent a few hours on the 250f and two seasons on the 175 and 200 and for my level and style of riding I've yet to attack a section that the 200 couldn't do as well if not better than the 250f. Don't get me wrong the 250 is a great bike with a bulletproof Yam motor but compared to my 200 it does feel top heavy and with the more techo engine has a few more bits to break off and go wrong.

With the 200 costing $A8000 here in aus and the 250f $A11000+ I can afford to update my 200 every year and only loose about $A2000ish the depreciation on the 250f is a lot more.

If you are one of the few who can utilize the 250's power and ride in the top 10% of your club then the 250 may be for you, if however your like me, just mortal ie: you loose more points by hopping than you save then the 200 is the better option certainly on your hip pocket..........