Help With New Perfect Match !

hoggle

Hello to all at this great site ! :rolleyes:

I have looked through the whole site as i'm looking to buy a Trials bike after an absence of 20 ish years, iam 5'6 and about 10 3/4 stone ( depending on the amount of Curries and beer that i can pack in when allowed) i have read all the excellent advise that other guys post regarding buying a first bike.

The thing that seems apparent from the Posts is to start at a 125, i will only be using the bike solely for Trials purposes only ( Not racing about with my Mates) but because of my lack in Height ! will certain bikes be better for Small riders or tall riders ? I would be Happy to spend around the

Hi, I don't think that any bikes are 'better for Small riders or tall riders ', as it can depend largely on the handlebars i.e.: you can get handlebars that 'reach' higher up than others or 'bars with very little bend that suit shorter people, this also applies with the width of the 'bars and the angle at which they are set. As for choosing a 125, I think that's a wise choice as I'm 11 stone and my 04 Sherco 125 pulls me up pretty much anything but needs a tad more encouragement than the 250 GasGas I once had... Anyway, hope this makes some sense, MotoDaz

PS: If you are particularly concerned about the size of a bike it might be best to look for specifications of the bike's in questions e.g. Handlebar height, wheelbase etc. You should be able to find this on the manufacturers

I think you will find the 125 a bit too underpowered, maybe a 200 Beta would be better or even a 250 (gg/beta/scorpa/sherco) with a slow action throttle, as you get more confident you will need more power............trust me.

Edited by jam

Hi There and welcome.

Unless you are about to do an Adult British Championship event you will find a newish 125 has plenty of power. If in doubt, go to a youth A & B round to see what they can do if the pilot is good enough !!

Bearing in mind your buget you will be looking at a pretty tidy '07 bike from any of the main manufacturers.

They're all good but different, so try them all and take your pick.

Good luck.

Hoggle,

The answer to your question is a simple one...

Go see Gary at Highland Leisure, you are much closer to him than most of the trials competitors in Scotland.

People can have differing views on dealers based on their dealings with them but my experience is that he is first class.

He is in the best position to recommend the correct machine for you and he will keep you supplied with the spares that you will need as well.

Hope you enjoy your return to trials, it's just boys playing with their toys.

Many thanks to the guys that replied to my post ! And to "not guilty" i have indeed been to see Garry, and he was simply brilliant with me. Though as you would expect its good to hear from people to get various opinions, as everyone has had there own experiences and prefer different bikes, engine sizes etc. Garry advised me to start on a 125 because of my size and experience. i told him i had a TY175 years ago, his reply was the difference is night and day regards the Power and weight ! so it i will trust his knowledge and go for a 125 to start with then wait and see if i require something bigger !

Thanks again Guys, Stuart. :thumbup: