07 Caby Suggestions

borus

just purchased an 07 caby, :P now that the 07's (standard or caby) have been around for a while any suggested changes once broken in. to start off i'm retarding the timing and fitting a slow throttle. if and when i want more engine i know where to get it :thumbup: i've searched mosts of the posts but now that the bike has been around a bit it's worth tapping into your valuable experience.

cheers

I have an 08 with cabby head and keihin carb. I've searched through the parts books and have found these are the only two differences between standard and cabby powerwise. All other part numbers seem to be the same. Timing is factory and throttle is quick. I have put Boysen duel stage reeds in and bike is tuned lean. The power delivery is very smooth with no need to change the timing or throttle. The power delivery when the bike was new and standard was very aggressive. Try to persevere with the factory timing and quick throttle. If your balance is ok, throttle and clutch control will come quickly. I'm just a hack but that's how its worked for me. Definitely try duel stage reeds.

Mark.

I have an 08 with cabby head and keihin carb. I've searched through the parts books and have found these are the only two differences between standard and cabby powerwise. All other part numbers seem to be the same. Timing is factory and throttle is quick. I have put Boysen duel stage reeds in and bike is tuned lean. The power delivery is very smooth with no need to change the timing or throttle. The power delivery when the bike was new and standard was very aggressive. Try to persevere with the factory timing and quick throttle. If your balance is ok, throttle and clutch control will come quickly. I'm just a hack but that's how its worked for me. Definitely try duel stage reeds.

Mark.

i had the boysen's in my 2.5 sherco a really liked the change, i will definitely make that change once it's broken in and i get a good feel for how the bike is at the current setup. my timing was factory set at almost full advance so we did retard the timing about 5mm which places it mid tab, and installed a slow throttle for a starting point. seems to have brought the caby allot closer to my 2.5 but with more tourque and a little more hp of course, but very manageable from my first impressions. after it's broken in , boy is everything tight, i'll start to dial the bike up as i start to look for more power. i'm just getting back into riding so i'm going to error on the conservative trying to rebuild my confidence. i can alway hit the "map 2" :thumbup: , i just wonder how many degrees it advances the timing? maybe 2 degrees???

cheers

Not sure how much difference there is in the cabby head? Fill us in! I suspect it may even have just a bit lower compression with a slightly increased squish area.

The keihin will be more powerful accross the range and the standard dellorto could be installed. If you are riding big grippy rocks and such, the keihin has a power advantage, on anything less, the dellorto works just fine and on the other end of the spectrum may indeed be preferable in the loose stuff and mud. :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

I just took the standard head off and put the cab head on. Did'nt measure anything although I did notice the squish area looked about the same and the recess was definitely shallower with higher compression. The bike seemed to have extra grunt from low revs. Good for double steps and such.

Timing is factory and throttle is quick. I have put Boysen duel stage reeds in and bike is tuned lean. The power delivery is very smooth with no need to change the timing or throttle. The power delivery when the bike was new and standard was very aggressive. Try to persevere with the factory timing and quick throttle. Definitely try duel stage reeds.

Mark.

hi mark, well, i did retard the timing 5mm and installed a slow throttle and was very happy on map 1, could put it to map 2 if i wanted more. i tried the boyesens reeds and it was not good at all. low end power was poor, did not run well and even the exhaust note changed. put the standard reed back in and it was great again. i guess it is either retard the timing "or" install boyesens. but doing both was not good???

cheers

bob

hi mark, well, i did retard the timing 5mm and installed a slow throttle and was very happy on map 1, could put it to map 2 if i wanted more. i tried the boyesens reeds and it was not good at all. low end power was poor, did not run well and even the exhaust note changed. put the standard reed back in and it was great again. i guess it is either retard the timing "or" install boyesens. but doing both was not good???

cheers

bob

I put the boyesens in and retarded the timing and I really like it. However you need to richen the carb with either a bigger pilot jet or on the mixture screw as the boyesens make the bike run weak below 1/4 throttle. I thought the caby head was lower compression not higher ? my friends caby is much easier to kick over than my standard 07.

I put the boyesens in and retarded the timing and I really like it. However you need to richen the carb with either a bigger pilot jet or on the mixture screw as the boyesens make the bike run weak below 1/4 throttle. I thought the caby head was lower compression not higher ? my friends caby is much easier to kick over than my standard 07.

your probably right, i did turn the mixture screw out a full extra turn from the factory half turn, maybe i didn't do it enough. i have no experience with keihins, i decided that if i needed to get into rejetting and fiddling too much i'd just go back to factory setting as i was very happy with the way it ran. i'm very happy with the way everything is right now i think i'll just see if i can learn how ride :thumbup:

cheers

You should ck you pilot jet, I was running the 45/ 125 setup on the Kiehin, but also about 1.5 to 2.5 turns out on the mix scrwe is the normal range it seems of its control ability. If you are at .5 that is just too lean and things just will not jive with the boyesens.

Of course my experience was for the standard '07, so your mileage may vary, but the pilot jet should be in range I would think.

This is where you get into the mix! :thumbup:

You should ck you pilot jet, I was running the 45/ 125 setup on the Kiehin, but also about 1.5 to 2.5 turns out on the mix scrwe is the normal range it seems of its control ability. If you are at .5 that is just too lean and things just will not jive with the boyesens.

Of course my experience was for the standard '07, so your mileage may vary, but the pilot jet should be in range I would think.

This is where you get into the mix! :beer:

i'll check the jets out, i was surprised to find it at .5 turns myself, in checking it out it's right on the edge of when the engine note and running changes, i'm assuming the factory purposely set it that way :banana2::D . i had previously checked the plug and it was med to dark tan running 70:1 and taking it easy for breakin. i'll defintely now try backing it out a bit to see the difference.

cheers :thumbup:

add: jets are 45/122, anything less or more on the mix screw and it doesn't run right, i'll continue to experiment with 1/8 turns out but for now the bike runs great

Edited by borus