Trials On Enduro Bikes?

_g_

Hi,

New to all this.

Always fancied a go at trials, but never really got around to it. Due to a previous (road-track racing) injury I've got to take it relatively easy until I have a bit of metal removed; was thinking it might be a good time to have a play at some basic trials as doing enduro, which I'd hoped to have a play with this year, is probably a bit risky.

So; what are the possibilities for entering a basic-style trial on an enduro bike?

I'm lead to believe a lot of trials offer the option for enduro bikes to enter.

Can I just sign up and go along, or do I need to do ACU stuff, etc (haven't renewed my road-race ACU licence this year as won't be needing it for a while)?

Any events not far too far from the Thames Valley area that are recommended?

G

I definitely don't want to discourage you, especially as trials seems to be the best possible training ground for Enduro. You wouldn't be able to guarantee turning up at a trial and getting an entry though.

I'm fairly sure you'll need trials tyres fitted to be able to do it at all. If you don't want to splash out the hundred quid or so for a set of trials tyres, ask around, I'm sure someone will have part used trials tyres that will work a treat on your enduro bike (especially rears).

There are some boys on here that do LDT (Long Distance Trials) which would seem to suit what you're after. Have a search for "LDT". Hopefully one of them will post a reply to help you out.

Hey g, Im quite new to trials too (done about 12 events now) I came from an mx background (raced for 21 years) and did a few enduros aswell, to be honest with you ACU trials would be REALLY hard on an enduro, as the previous fella said not enough steering lock. I have done a few AMCA trials though and they are (in my opinion) much easier and you would have a better shot at getting an enduro around one of them. hope this helps.......... a little

Cheers for the suggestion of the LDR - have heard about them in the past, but never really looked into it, so am doing so now!

I wouldn't mind getting a trials bike at some point, however space is rather an issue:

http://www.giffould.com/r/pics/garageout.jpg

(The FX400 at the back will be sold if I can find anyone to buy it, but that space is hopefully going to be filled by a TE610, G650 or maybe a 690 enduro.)

Might sell my 404 if I decide the above bike is suitable, which'd leave me some money and space to get one; but, regardless; I'd prefer to try the general idea first before splashing out.

Obviously I'm not expecting to do even begin to do ok - would just be something to have a bit of fun with.

There a quite a number of LDT's which are specifically aimed at trail bikes.

Admitedly you really need a Gas Gas Pampera, Beta Alp or a Yamaha Serrow to be in with a chance of winning, but loads of us get around on stuff like DRZ400's, XR400's, WR's and EC's.

This weekend the Cheltenham Home GUard Club are running the Sphinx LDT which is a good one.

The Gas Gas Pampera- A highly competitive LDT machine.

100_0457.jpg

The Stratford Club also run a trail bike class in our Classic Trial on 18th May, the easy route is ideal for a Trail or Enduro bike. It's set out for Classic Sidecars, so width won't be a problem and it's a good ride around the Cotswolds.

Trail bikes only need a rear trials tyre and third party road insurance is avialable on the day for

Guest majestyman340

Why not try 3 stage trials, that are often run by the Army in the Bordon area? If you have a proper enduro race bike, rather than a trail machine, the 3 stage events are likely to be more suitable than LDTs.

Cheers for the through TJP - definitely not looking for anything too extreme at the moment.

Scorpa: that definitely looks interesting. Don't worry, not aiming to win anything and probably prefer to do it on my own bike, but I do know two people who own pamp's, and one of them is borrowing my 675 next month, so I'm sure I could acquire the use of one if I decided to go that way :thumbup:.

majestyman: A quick google didn't reveal much about 3 stage trials; any more info?

I'm wanting something that's keeping the speed down really, as I've been advised that while my leg is fine for general use, I really *really* don't want to do anything bad to it until the metal's out. Done some greenlaning with some technicaly bits fine, but don't want to put myself in too much speed-related competition (I do tend to get a bit too competitive, perhaps :P ).

Oh and I've got a full-on enduro (Husaberg 501E) as well as a more trail orientated bike (CCM 404E) and also got a CRM125 that needs a bit of work too.

Edited by _g_

The only grade of trials that you could even hope to compete in on a enduro bike is the lowest level, therefore youl'd do better buying a cheap trials bike and competing on that then decide if you want to continue.

By the time you've changed to trials tyres and bourght new sprokets etc: to alter your gearing the comparable price of an old sh*Tbox trials iron would be pretty even......

The only grade of trials that you could even hope to compete in on a enduro bike is the lowest level, therefore youl'd do better buying a cheap trials bike and competing on that then decide if you want to continue.

By the time you've changed to trials tyres and bourght new sprokets etc: to alter your gearing the comparable price of an old sh*Tbox trials iron would be pretty even......

I'm fortunate enough to have a good trials bike and a sh*Tbox (as you call it) enduro bike, I ride trials most weekends and I think that the trail bike trials are really excellent value for money.

I mentioned our Classic Trial on the 18th May, this event will take riders on a 35 mile ride around the Cotswolds visiting 12 different Groups of sections, 30 in total each with a hard and an easy route. The easy route is ideal for trail bikes. Ok 'g's' CCM won't win the class, but I'd make a bet he would enjoy himself.

Later in the year, we also run the OK Supreme LDT, this is aimed specifically at trail bikes (although classic trials bikes do enter this one too) The OK includes even more groups of sections around a 75 mile route, much of it off road. 'g' could certainly get his Husa around that one and the CCM could finsih on a very low score. I lost 12 marks on my old DRZ400 last time.

These kind of events often have 120 entries and although they won't help you become a world champion, you will spend 5 or 6 hours riding your bike around one big lap with lots of people on similar types of machines.

As for buying a cheap bike,

There is probably 3 LDTs & maybe 3 3-stage trials in the SE this year. As Scorpa 3 suggests better events lie futher afield. If you can't run to a chaepo trials bike, modify what you have. See if you can get more steering lock by grinding the stops etc. Lower grearing. You want smooth clutch feel & smooth emngine response & you'll need prpper trials tyres too. Run these at the right pressures. Know how to fix a puncture & you're there!

The biggest problem may be that Trials clubs expect all bikes to be as quiet as a trials bike is..........

Competing at the lowest level wouldn't worry me - just doing it for a bit of fun, etc.

As I said earlier, money isn't a massive issue if we're talking a cheap trials bike, but space is.

The Husaberg is already geared fairly low on the enduro rear wheel and has has decent amounts of low down go. Getting a trials rear isn't a big issue; May well end up doing a hare and hounds that needs them at some point. And more importantly, takes up a lot less space than a whole new bike :thumbup:.

That 'classic trial' on the 18th of May definitely looks interesting and pretty close to me too, so think I'll see about entering that, then can go from there.

Sorry Scorpa3 I didn't realize that the Trial/Trail sceen was so strong in the mother country, I didn't mean to be negative but here in West Aus we have no such cutprice trials events, we have on occasion let an enduro rider compete in an event (usually the land owner). All have commented that whilst watching a novice attempt a trials section visions of being able to ride the same section on a Harley!! seen quite fessable, obviously riding and watching are two completly different things.

In Aus a change of tyres and sprockets would be close to A$400 not far off a rough twin shock sh*Tbox!!

Love the pics, perhaps we should look at incorperating a Trial/Trail event into our calendar?

Sorry Scorpa3 I didn't realize that the Trial/Trail sceen was so strong in the mother country, I didn't mean to be negative but here in West Aus we have no such cutprice trials events, we have on occasion let an enduro rider compete in an event (usually the land owner). All have commented that whilst watching a novice attempt a trials section visions of being able to ride the same section on a Harley!! seen quite fessable, obviously riding and watching are two completly different things.

In Aus a change of tyres and sprockets would be close to A$400 not far off a rough twin shock sh*Tbox!!

Love the pics, perhaps we should look at incorperating a Trial/Trail event into our calendar?

No need to appologise. I've just recieved my entry back for this weekends Sphinx LDT run by the Cheltenham Club, the route notes indicate 75 miles, there are 117 entries and the machines include:

14 Beta Alps

3 Honda XL185's

17 Gas Gas 250's (some EC and some Pampera's)

6 Serrows

6 KTM's

And various other 250, 400, 520 Honda's etc