New To Scorpa (and Trials)

harvey250

Hi

Everyone here seems to be very helpfull , so I wonder if you could help me with a few questions .

I have just purchased an 03 sy250 and ridden it once and LOVE it , having just switched from enduro i dindnt think the motor was very "revvey" , I have read alot of the posts and it appears this may be normal for a u.k. version , I have also read there are some imported versions available with lighter flywheels and advanced timing . my questions are:

1) my bike has stickers on wich read "sy racing" do they all have this or is this a racing/import model ?

2)should i worry about it (if it aint broke.............)?

any anwers would be greatly appreciated

Edited by harvey250

Hi Mate

Playing with the timing is easy on the SY - take a look at this - http://www.scorpaaustralia.com/Timing.html - it's simply a matter of whipping off the left side engine case to see how your timing is set - if you're careful the gasket should survive too.

Re flywheel weight - experts seem to like the lighter flywheel - more zip - mere mortals seem to prefer the heavier flywheel

Edited by paulmac

I seem to recall that is about the timewhen the "racing" came with the lighter flywheel, and other changes, at least over here!

I think the timing was advanced and possibly a bit higher compression head, billett clamps and such, good runner! But not a gasser or Sherco, still very smooth and powerful for a 250. Should work well! :thumbup:

Hi

Everyone here seems to be very helpfull , so I wonder if you could help me with a few questions .

I have just purchased an 03 sy250 and ridden it once and LOVE it , having just switched from enduro i dindnt think the motor was very "revvey" , I have read alot of the posts and it appears this may be normal for a u.k. version , I have also read there are some imported versions available with lighter flywheels and advanced timing . my questions are:

1) my bike has stickers on wich read "sy racing" do they all have this or is this a racing/import model ?

2)should i worry about it (if it aint broke.............)?

any anwers would be greatly appreciated

As a beginning rider, the heavier flywheel is exactly what you need. Don't mess with it. I had four of the SY 250's in a row (2002, 03, 04 & 05) and on each of them with the heavier flywheel, by intent. Once you better understand how a trials event is not like an enduro, you will come to appreciate why the bike is less "revvey", as you put it. In fact, as a new rider, I would even recommend a slow throttle (black tube vs. white) to help you with your throttle control.

Hello again ,

thanks for the helpfull advice , as I understand there was a sy250 and an sy 250 R/acing ?

I may have the sy racing with lighter flywheel advanced igntion timing ect.... but maybe not .

I guess the easiest way to tell is to check the timming marks .

I agree with DGshannon , I also think the extra flywheel weight and softer power will be an advantage in this climate , and at my level .

will have to give the slow throttle a go , just cheked mine and its a fast one !