Terms...

nbuu

We are currenlty translating a trials guide into Finnish, and we are struggling with "punch technique" and "splatter technique". Someone...please explain briefly what they are, this way I will be able to translate them properly :)

I'll have a go at splatter -

Ride towards an obstacle and a reasonable distance from it lift the front wheel (wheelie). Compress the rear suspension and as the suspension rises apply even more revs and pull back, the rear wheel leaves the ground and the bike approaches vertical (front wheel in the air).

The rear wheel (now off the ground) makes contact with the obstacle as the bike is vertical or even past vertical.

Usually easier with some sort of kicker. Rock or other object to help the wheel leave the ground.

Well it's a start hopefully - feel free to pick at it. If it's wrong that's probably why I'm not too bloody good at them.

I've absolutely no idea what the punch technique is.

Option 2 for the splatter:

Approach the obstacle with intrepidation, but blind misplaced confidence, because you just saw the last bloke do it perfectly.

At the first sign of a bobble in the ground start the wheelie, there may not be another chance, the next bit happens so fast.

Start compressing the rear suspension - don't position yourself too far forward or this will also apply weight to the front and bring the front wheel down towards the aforementioned obstacle - Doh too late - sh*t.

Apply maximum revs to attempt to avert the imminent meeting of ridiculous force and immovable object.

At this late point all of the force will be horizontal and none vertical and the front wheel should hit the obstacle roughly half way up, and at about twice the required speed.

The look on the face at this point should be one of absolute terror. This warns the crowd to move back. The audible warning is optional, however expletives should be avoided if possible, although they do add comedy value when people describe the scene later in the pub.

At this point there are two options:

1. Brace the whole body for impact and try to get your tongue between your teeth to stop them grinding. Hope for the best. If you really failed to get any compression at the rear, your face may not hit the obstacle at all.

2. Make a jump for it, and start running in the air. You may clear the obstacle altogether! If the ends flags are close enough your bike may make it through as well and leave the observer with an awkward decision.

I find in such cases that crying often sways the observers thought process in your favour.

Of course you may not find these methods in any trials manual. I can only put this down to the fact that it's so hard to document something that happens so fast.....but if like me you can manage to remain unteachable, untalented, yet eternally hopeful, no matter how many times you try it, the above sequence becomes almost second nature.

Good Luck.