Weird Looking Clutch Oil (on Empty)

jza

Guys,

I use the Putoline 4 stroke oil in both engine and clutch without problem.

When i emptied both this weekend having done a quick blast first, the clutch oil came out light grey! Smelt like oil, felt like oil, just looked "weird". It wasnt sludgy like how i'd expect it to look if water got in so im confused. I've probably used this set of oil for longer than normal as the bike hasnt had much use over winter...

Do i have a problem or is it normal?

Jza

Guys,

I use the Putoline 4 stroke oil in both engine and clutch without problem.

When i emptied both this weekend having done a quick blast first, the clutch oil came out light grey! Smelt like oil, felt like oil, just looked "weird". It wasnt sludgy like how i'd expect it to look if water got in so im confused. I've probably used this set of oil for longer than normal as the bike hasnt had much use over winter...

Do i have a problem or is it normal?

Jza

Sounds like you got some water in your system somewhere mate, light grey suggests it's emulsified.

hey! i know on the 2-strokes you put it in brown and from normal friction it turns a light grey color, it does on my sherco and my beta, if there was coolant in it you would smell it and it would be tinted green, if it is water it would be tinted white, the grey color comes from metal parts creating friction and heat, i've never seen a bike not do it. hope this helps....................john

Defo no smell - in fact i checked the coolant level and it was still full... looks like a case of "they all do that sir".... will change oil more often going forward. Thanks!

Jza