Bike Recommendations For Me Please

men8ifr

IMHO :o If your just starting off in trials world, then I would suggest you buy the best Montesa 315 you can get for your money.(2003?)

You have a lot of dropping and falling ahead of you.

I personally wouldn't touch an older Beta as they have been known to have corrosion issues with the crank-cases(and I won't mention the electrics..oops ..just did).

As for a big cockpit area,modern trials bikes don't have a seat so ..err..you'll just have to keep it in your pants.

Wayne

P.S.

There is so little weight on the front wheel of any modern trials bike, that, keeping it down is the problem so don't worry about the wheelie thing.

Edited by HAM2

If your just starting off in trials world, then I would suggest you buy the best Montesa 315 you can get for your money.(2003?)

Tough to give any better advice than that. No doubt, the best 2-stroke, adult beginners bike, out there. If, you want to go ahead and take the plunge into the 4-stroke world, so you won't have to relearn all over again later, then the Scorpa SY 175F is a good bet.

Would that montesa not be a bit of an animal at 315cc?

I guess HAM2's recommendation is because they will take a beating from a beginner without problems ?

Don't ask me why it's called a 315 ,I can't believe there were 314 models before it. :o

The bike is a 250cc or near enough.

Edited by HAM2

250cc 315 - OK..

If you were buying a beginner bike would you spend 8,9 hundred which looks like it may get a 1999-2001 model or 1,400 to 1,500 and get a newer model (2004 onwards I guess)

A clubman would benefit from the newer bike - i'm thinking less maintenence, keeping it looking good rather than performance but a beginner is likely to drop the bike a lot - I think i'm the type of rider to have quite a few spills...

250cc 315 - OK..

If you were buying a beginner bike would you spend 8,9 hundred which looks like it may get a 1999-2001 model or 1,400 to 1,500 and get a newer model (2004 onwards I guess)

A clubman would benefit from the newer bike - i'm thinking less maintenence, keeping it looking good rather than performance but a beginner is likely to drop the bike a lot - I think i'm the type of rider to have quite a few spills...

If you're a beginner I wouldn't spend too much on your first trials bike (you might not take to the sport,)buy on condition rather than year.

The 315s didn't change radically year on year,small tweaks,the main changes were improved suspension on the more recent models and (although some people on here tell me it was all in my mind) on 2003/04 models,more punch.

One of the toughest questions to answer, because it depends...

For those who spend less, and buy older bikes (1999-2001), you have two outcomes. The ones that figure out they don't like trials, end up happy. For those that figure out they love trials, they then regret not having purchased a more up-to-date bike. At first, they don't know any better, but soon get frustrated with it as they learn that the clutch isn't smooth and progressive, brakes aren't as good, etc. Ultimately, end up selling it and buying a newer bike.