Ty 250 Mono Id

dad

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble trying to date my ty 250 mono.

Engine and frame numbers match and start with 53Y.

I've noticed on all the pics I've seen of ty 250 monos that they have

a long 'rubber' tube leading from the carby to the airbox (plastic?).

Mine has a short tube leading to a fibreglass airbox.

Any ideas and feedback would be appreciated.

Peter.

Trawled the net and found this site, www.cmsnl.com-faq.phpfq_catid=15 , and the bike appears to be an '84.

I think it's an 'S' as it has a steering lock and lighting but also a plastic tank

[/img]

Hi

I have a bike with frame number begining 53Y, engine number 53Y with no other digits.

Mine is a 1984 250S (Japanese import - I have the customs paperwork).

The bike oriinally had a plastic tank.

Interestingly the cylinder head does not have the mounting holes for the extra bracket although the frame has.

It has a steering lock along with all the extra frame lugs for rear frame stay, battery, side cover, brake light switch etc.

Hope this helps

Regards

Tim

That airbox certainly looks interesting! Some kind of trick japanese aftermarket piece of kit maybe?

I'm 90% sure my bike is an 'S' but yours has the kick stand on the other side which confuses me. Also looks like you have the later rear shock which I don't.

Best idea is to give Yamaha a ring on tuesday!

Peter,

The battery holder fits on the frame behind and below the airbox, there is also a black plastic side cover which fits over the top of the battery. Where your bike has the shock reservoir you would originally have had an oil tank.

Also the bike would have had a bolt on rear frame loop with a plastic toolkit carrier, the correct rear light mounts to the frame loop.

If you let me have your e-mail address I can send you some pics of my almost finished restoration with the bits I've mention in place.

Regards

Tim

Looking at the pic can I see a small silver bolt on piece to check the oil at front of the clutch cover. If so that is the same as the one spoken about in the other thread linked to on this thread. (It was my bike, now sold on) I had an after mkt tank cover that may have matched the air intake cover you have. Is the choke on the left, mine was and the carb is smaller than UK spec.

I was guessing this is where the 'oil pump' for the post mixing was.

Carby is 'Teikei' with choke on right side.

This would indicate that it is an '84 S model.

Peter