Tire For Colorado Nat.

firstgear

Last year for the National in Cotapaxi Co I showed up with a brand new Dunlop 803 on the back of my bike..

Yeah, I was that one guy with a new tire...So after destroying a good tire and finding out that it is near impossible to spin on those rocks I find that

we are headed back to CO. in a couple more weeks but to different grounds.

My question is to anyone familiar with the Canyon City terrian, is it like Cotapaxi where a 10 year old dry rotted IRC would be fine or

would a nice new tire help more. Same rock texture as Cotapaxi? any mud? any loose dirt? water?

To better help answer the question I will be riding the Support line and others coming along will be riding the ES line.

We need spark arrestor?

From the RMTA website (http://www.coloradotrials.org/):

As all of you know, if you ride in the forest in this state you need two things. One is a spark arrestor and the other is an OHV sticker. The RMTA also uses the the same rules. If you need an OHV sticker you can get the form and maybe the sticker at your local motorcycle shop (the easiest ) or the State parks department.

*edit* too slow on my posting! scooped by city trials!

Edited by CODirtRider

Last year for the National in Cotapaxi Co I showed up with a brand new Dunlop 803 on the back of my bike..

Yeah, I was that one guy with a new tire...So after destroying a good tire and finding out that it is near impossible to spin on those rocks I find that

we are headed back to CO. in a couple more weeks but to different grounds.

My question is to anyone familiar with the Canyon City terrian, is it like Cotapaxi where a 10 year old dry rotted IRC would be fine or

would a nice new tire help more. Same rock texture as Cotapaxi? any mud? any loose dirt? water?

To better help answer the question I will be riding the Support line and others coming along will be riding the ES line.

Don't know how much I can help cause I have'nt ridden near Canyon City ;)

For what it's worth, in my part of Colorado (Boulder area) and the other areas that I've ridden, mud is pretty rare. Mostly we have dry (unless it's snowing), loose, and rocky.

Also for what it's worth (about 2 cents I would guess), the Penrose-Commons trail system is in vicinity of Canon City, the first link below has some pics of the terrain. Obviously terrain can vary tremendously from one spot to another but some nice pics none the less.

linky1

linky2

Edited by CODirtRider

So, If we get there a day or two in adavance we need the OHV sticker to practice, I'm sure there is a parks department or bike shop near by to pick one up?

So, If we get there a day or two in adavance we need the OHV sticker to practice, I'm sure there is a parks department or bike shop near by to pick one up?

Unfortunately the Colorado OHV sticker process is pretty slow and I don't know if you could get one quickly, if you have a sticker from your home state, that is fine also.

Do we need an OHV sticker even though it is on Private land? I'm sure there are going to be a ton of people that show up with out one. We aren't required to have any type of sticker on our bikes here in PA. Mostly b/c you can't ride anywhere unless it is privately owned land. ;)

Do we need an OHV sticker even though it is on Private land? I'm sure there are going to be a ton of people that show up with out one. We aren't required to have any type of sticker on our bikes here in PA. Mostly b/c you can't ride anywhere unless it is privately owned land. ;)

Yeah, I'm really not sure how that the OHV sticker issue works for the Nats, and the last thing I want to do is mislead anyone, I'm just passing on what I was told by a friend @ RMTA. From what I heard, although it's private land, the owner is a forest ranger and a stickler for the rules. You may want to call RMTA or the Nationals folks and confirm. Hopefully they will have a temp sticker option or something for out of state riders (given the $100 a day fee, hopefully it's taken care of).

RMTA

Edited by CODirtRider

Thanks for the pictures, it looks like a new tire is not necessary.

So if a ORV from our home state will be excepted in CO. than that is not a problem. We can get an ORV here in Michigan at any

department store. Meijer, Wal Mart, etc.

Thanks Again for the info.

Yes Sam a spark arrestor is a must in CO. I can get some prices to you if it helps.