Seeley Advice Wanted

scoobie

Hi,

My Seeley's just developed a rattle at the top-end and is a bit hesitant off the throttle.

I'm guessing that it's the little end, but could it be the camchain?

I've got a Haynes manual that covers the TLR200 and I've done a top-end overhaul on 2 strokes before but never on a four stroke. It looks pretty straight forward, but according to the manual to change the camchain I've got to take the engine out and down to the crank cases. Is there an easier way?

I was only going to do the chain in case I put it all back together and it still rattles. How can I tell which needs doing? Should I do the rings while I'm there? Can I do the top-end with the engine still in the frame?

Where do you recommend to get the parts and gaskets etc?

Thanks in advance?

You can do the cam chain with the engine in the frame. If you want to remove the top end you will need to take the engine out of the frame. They do not have a little end like a 2 stroke . ;)

OOPS!!!

Wrong terminology, I meant the piston pin.

Thanks for the reply - so you reckon it's the cam chain. How do I check for wear, and how do I replace with the engine in the frame - is there a link to any advice anywhere on any sites?

Whose best for parts?

Thanks,

First take the cover and ignition pickup assembly off the head on the left side of the head when sat on the bike. You will see the cam sprocket and chain etc. With a clean instrument check the wear in the chain, there should be hardly any movement in the chain, if there is then bolt everything back together, run the bike and adjust the camchain as it says to do so in your manual. The adjuster is on the l/h crankcase behind the cylinder. Follow the book it is easy, you may need to do it a couple of times as they can stick. If you notice the rattle is not as bad then the tensioner is working. It does not hurt to have the slight occasional rattle, but not constant. You dont want the chain too tight as this can knacker the head, if you go by the book it will be fine. If it needs replacing there are dealers who list them on ebay. You may be better off taking it to someone who is used to 4 strokes if you are not as it requires timing up properly. Good luck. ;)