Engine Backfire And Knocking

badass76

Hi i have just started having problems with my 99 techno 250 at low revs it will run fine one minuite and the next i can feel the engine knocking and backfiring . i replaced the plug and put new fuel in it ran ok untill i put it through the gears and built some speed up after it started playing up again please help me. :)

This could be a lean condition due to fuel flow /starvation issues, water in float bowl, shorting kill button, loose electrical connections to coil or module, poor plug cap connection to plug lead, or lastly the dreaded ignition module failure. Don't suppose you have a friend with another similar Beta you could try swapping parts with. The knocking and backfire most likely are resulting from errattic spark timing. Hook up a timing light and run it up to farting rpm and you will observe the timing is jumping all over the place. If it is, you can safely assume it's a spark related problem. Next job should be to ohm check the stator. Many months ago I posted the ohms specs for the stator. Maybe you could still find them in the archives. Once the stator is verified good, it would be time to take the financial gamble and buy a new ignition module. Good luck. Jay

O.K. it appears that it was over a year ago and it has dropped off the back end of this bulletin board. It was on "Beta". The way I remember this is, there are two black with white stripe wires to the lower unit that should read about 500 ohms to ground. The white trigger wire should read about 120 ohms. The black wire, I don't know what it's for. I had no useful readings on it. This is from memory. Check it and see if this is right. Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I am the proud owner of a correctly running Techno, i purchased a new ignition module and it runs perfect now. can you recomend what lubrication i should use in the gearbox and how much and how to set up my suspension

Thanks again

Paul Neville

i didn't get my stuff from scotish trial i got them from www.bvm-moto.com

1. cause they are cheap

2.cause there is a 20% on all hebo clothing

3.cause they allways get it to me the next day

and i do have trouble getting onto the english version of scotish trial it is real anoying