Acu Open Trials Forum 2008

scorpa3

Shame about the forum being cancelled.

But wouldnt there be the possibility of more intrest if the ACU had publicised what was on the agenda before cancelling,and not after!

Having read the agenda there are some intresting topic, i.e combining Adult and youth Brit Champs (as per on continent) and FIM for youth riders.

Both of which are steps forward IMHO.

Shame about the forum being cancelled.

But wouldnt there be the possibility of more intrest if the ACU had publicised what was on the agenda before cancelling,and not after!

Having read the agenda there are some intresting topic, i.e combining Adult and youth Brit Champs (as per on continent) and FIM for youth riders.

Both of which are steps forward IMHO.

Cant help but agree with Ricksta. Before comments are made about lack of interest, maybe you should ensure enough people know about the forum, the proposed date ( something that will not clash with any major events), and the proposed agenda.

The first I knew about it was when Pete posted this thread, then half way through the week he had to ask what was on the agenda! Come on guys, publicise and promote it and the people will come.

IMHO :(

I think we have the most open and forward thinking T&E committee for a long time and are really trying to involve the general riding public and not just the general/formal ACU officials, centre stewards mechanisms etc and they should be applauded for this.

However I am disappointed at Mick comment that Rugby is where the ACU is so come there. Rugby is where the offices are, the ACU is every club in the country! Maybe a road show in maybe 3 locations around the country might be something to think about especially with travel becoming so expensive.

And by the way I have been up to Rugby for several BTC forums, coaching seminars and C of C seminars.

The first I knew about it was when Pete posted this thread

Pete created this topic on the 11th June. It was posted to the front page of TC on 7th June :D Assistant Webmaster has his finger on the pulse :(

It is very disappointing - especially when you see people happy to bitch about the ACU on here, but those same people are not prepared to stand up, put their c*ck on the block and actually take part. I would, but I don't ride and only do the promotional side so would have nothing really to offer of any value.

The idea of having some kind of meeting during the SSDT was interesting. There are certainly enough riders and organisers from various clubs there either taking part or as observers/spectators. It's a captive audience and an ideal time to get folk together when they're all focused on the sport. It's certainly something worth looking into as I feel having it the same weekend as the French World Round was a bad move. It's the one world round you see more Brits at than any other as it's closest and cheapest to get to.

It is very disappointing - especially when you see people happy to bitch about the ACU on here, but those same people are not prepared to stand up, put their c*ck on the block and actually take part.

Fair comment on the front page article, I missed it for some reason. But I did say I would have gone if the date didn't clash with the French WTC and the point about the Agenda is still valid.

Would love to see FIM rules for youths. Can it be re-scheduled ?

It is disappointing. I have to admit, I hadn't planned to go myself, and I do feel a little pang of guilt every year.

My reasons for non attendance:

1. I have no axe to grind at the moment, or any strong feelings about rules or anything else on the agenda. I suppose I would have a view on the Novogar as we run one and I tend to ride quite a few of them, but again I've got no problems with them at the moment.

2. Damn busy - I know - everyone can say that, but with a Welsh Championship in a couple of weeks I'm not riding trials, just using the odd days I have off work in the preceding weekends to mark that out.

It is a shame and I do feel I have to justify not going. I certainly would if I had a strong point to get over or felt that I could contribute in a way that would justify the journey and time to get there.

It does seem that there are some strong views on here sometimes, but nevertheless no effort from those people to attend.

Hopefully it'll be used throughout the year to hammer down the whingers - "Your day was 21st June - Where were ya?"

I accept that there will always be reasons why people cannot attend such a seminar - and we will just have to live with that - but I am afraid many of the reasons are not that valid:

Date - OK - it may clash with the French World round - and that would effect a few - but I emphasise a few. We have to be realistic and assess actually how many this applied to - my bet is very few indeed.

I would ask those who found the date a big disadvantage to look at a calendar and suggest an actual better date - bearing in mind as Mick has stated that we accepted past criticism that if it is held later in year nothing is more annoying than being told - " cannot alter things now - too late for next year/handbook etc" - so we choose a time when things can actually be done.

Venue: Yes Rugby is the HQ - but it is also at the HQ where our secretaries are based - it is important for them to be at the Forum we believe - as they deal with you all on the day to day basis etc ,. There is a reason that ACU HQ is in Rugby - and that is basically a geographical one - and it is a fairly central location. It should in theory mean that it is accessible to North, S, E and West. The idea of Forum in Scotland or somewhere may be all right for those who are actually riding up there - not a lot of use for riders who are not there - or certainly organisers from other parts of UK. I also ponder how long it would take for severe criticism of C/tee members from say Wales , Devon and South travelling that distance - and without them listening - even to constructive criticism - makes the whole thing a waste of time. Further to this - people have already mentioned Youth Observing rules - surely this debate should never be limited to those who happen to be in a certain place for a certain event - and do not ride or organise Youth events?

Fortunately our sport is spread across the whole of the UK - and therefore it seems logical to hold it at the HQ - any other location will surely attract more problems for more people?

Agenda: Sorry - cannot accept that if the agenda was published earlier more would go - what do we think was going to be discussed ? Football? The invitations to all Forums - except BC have always invited anyone to submit items for discussion - and some did ( thanks to those who made effort). The points I listed are the usual topics that come up for discussion in any agenda - in any club discussion and in any pub discussion - they are the items that concern us all ( as well as others) and will - and always have been on the table -year after year.

Notice of Forum: Again - I think there was plenty of notice. It certainly featured in TC . It appeared in TMX - more than once. It appeared on ACU Web site for weeks. It even appeared on the Enduro news Web site.

It was also advertised in the ACU mag - which every rider and Club secretary gets. Notice was also sent out to every Centre - and from them presumably the Clubs would also have received notice - I know ours certainly did.

Again sorry - but while in the past there may not have been enough communication - I think the above was a fair amount.

At end of the day - for second year running it has been cancelled - there were 8 confirmed attendee's - and these were basically from 3 - 4 organisations.

It is not the end of the World - at least we gave the opportunity - and I confirm what Mick has already said - each of the items mentioned will certainly get further thought - but obviously that will now be limited to C/tee members - which is not ideal. I also echo Mick's point that at any time - feel free to approach a C/tee member at an event and bend his ear - we have no problem with that - but I admit that it is a little frustrating when we try to move things forward and take a wider viewpoint on board ( something that certainly has not always happened in past ) there is a lack of support.

Finally finally - I really just hope that in general - but obviously with the normal tweaking and alterations - it is like Bikespace states - most people are fairly happy - and apart from the odd moan just wish to get on with riding thier bikes.

• 1 month later...
We are particularly disappointed for the few who were supportive of it - and we intend to open up some written dialogue back and forth with them so that the issues they were keen to discuss will not be passed over. We will make every effort to work with them on the issues they wish to raise.

John any progress on the above, do we need to start the ball rolling with this?

Pete Barnett

Stratford-Upon-Avon MC&LCC