Charging Probs

spud

Oset 16: The batteries are flat (only one red light on handle bar indicator and the bike has no riding power). When i plugged the charging in the charging socket on the bike with the bike turned off, then turned the charger on the green light came on, but it has allows shown a red light when the batteries are flat? Using a multi meter i tested the charge current coming out of the charger, result 28.2 volts. I then tested the charge coming from the pos and neg leads coming from the bike to the batteries, result 28.2 volts. I then tested the link cable between both batteries and this sounded out okay. I then tested the volted with the link between both batteries connected, result 24.12volts. Both batteries individually are showing 12.1 and 12.3 volts.......So does anyone know why the green light is staying on when the batteries are flat? my son wants to go riding tomorrow and i just said he may not and the whole street heard him screaming!!!

have you checked you have good power getting to motor.batterys are a pain fully charged should show 12.5 you could try charging one at a time on a 12v charger.have you watched multi meter when applying power poss batteries no good if power drops below 10 volts immediatly.

Sound like a bigger problem is little Johnnie needs to learn life isn't going to go his way all the time. You sound like you're in panic mode to fix it because of the tantrum. Reward that behavior now and by the time he's a teen with access to cars, drugs, alcohol, sex and weapons you will have lost the opportunity to get his head straight. Riding as a reward for good behavior will payoff much better in the long run though it's tougher in the short run.

After a bit of a late night i found the problem. When i was connecting the multi meter to the pos and neg cables on the batteries i was very slightly moving /pulling on a connector block, this had already come loose. The connector block was not sitting fully home but was only slightly not connected. I only noticed it when i began tracing the power from the charger through the cables. When i put the pos and neg wires back on the batteries i was breaking the circuit and no charge was going to the batteries. My son is five he doesn't quite understand why the bike was not running but i guess he thought i was being nasty when i said he couldn't go riding. He did understand after i explained there was a problem with the bike.

On a slightly different note i see Oset have upgraded the 16 bike with bigger batteries and electric motor. Does anyone know if the batteries will fit in the older bike?