1978 Ty175

williamd

Picture006.jpg

Hi.

Bought this bike a while back and always wondered about the exhaust shield. Has anyone seen one of these before or is it a DIY job.

Also were the one piece tank and seat units fitted to some bikes from new, or are they always an aftermarket addition.

Any info welcome.

Thanks

WD

That seat tank unit is a Sammy Miller product and no they were not fitted to TYs from new.

The exhaust heat shield is home-made. The main exhaust chamber that is on your bike is an aftermarket type and does not come with a heat shield but probably should. A neater looking heat shield (made of metal or composite fibre) would improve the overall look of the bike.

That sure looks like the Sammy Miller Exhaust. If you need a shield you probably don't want to:

1. Ride with shorts on...

2. Learn to not hug the bike with your knees...

IMG_2347.jpg

This is my uncle's bike, I thought I had a better picture of it.

Thanks. Ill take the shield off and try it.

The only reason i was asking about the tank/seat is that a dealer told me some 175s were fitted with one piece units from new. He probably didn't mean the sammy miller ones but i've never seen any other type.

I'm registering the bike just now and think the original seat and tank would suit better both road/ off-road use, as i dont compete.

• 1 month later...

I owned a TY175 a few years back. I am not totally sure of the model year, 1981 I think, but it did have a one piece tank and seat unit. I remember having real trouble fixing the unit down at the seat end which meant that a big bump got you a whack in the pods for your troubles. You're not missing much!!