Setting Tappets On 4rt

manwithtool

Well I had a go at setting the tappets....But found when the flywheel was lined up with "T" on the inspection hole the rockers were not lose at all...found a mark "F" which gave me nice lose rockers. All gaps were fine although one exhaust valve was slightly tight, so I adjusted it...Read and re read the handbook but no mention of the "F" mark.

Anyone care to shed any light on this....

If I set the tappets on The T mark they will go very lose at the F mark....and I always believed you set the tappets at the point where the valves are closed....ie the biggest gap on the tappets...THis can;t be the "T" Mark.....well not on my bike anyway !

Any advice, crtisism, p*ss taking welcome...

Take it to Stevenage.

yes get it on tdc if valves are tight you maybe a revalotion out so turn it over carefully till the T mark comes around the next time you should now be set to check

I did turn it over several times no difference. Have to admit I didn't check for top dead centre.....I guess you whip the plug out and look to see the piston tdc ? any other way ?
yes you will have to take plug out check piston at top

On 99percent of all Hondas,t is top dead centre, f is static firing point, and two close together lines are full advance marks. On all four strokes the cam moves at half crankshaft speed. So you will have a(t mark )at tdc compression and 360 degrees later you will have a (t) at tdc valve overlap. You must set tappets at tdc compression . ie. valves closed. By your questions I dont think you have enough knowledge to be messing. Have a chat with me at Berko next week.

Hi Big wig, sounds like you know who I am....Never to proud to take advice....But I do know a fair amount about engines...two stroke and four stroke. I do know that the cam turns one for every two on the crank....it's a 4 stroke !

I asked the question because the manual gave me advice which went against my knowledge. All the cars I have worked on have a sequence to adjust the tappets this meant you adjusted a valve when the cam was at it's lowest point...ie the bigest gap on the valve. If I followed the manual I would set the valves at "T" mark on compression (must be compression because all valaves were closed). If I did this the gaps would be bigger at point "F"......This is why I set the valve clearances at point F....the biggest gap on valves....But maybe I should ignore my knowledge and just do what the manual says....I was hoping someone would tell me the manual has a mis print or that maybe my bike has the flywheel in the wrong position (I assume it's on a keyway so can't be wrong) Maybe some flywheels were marked up incorrectly ?

Feel free to collar me anytime...

i've not set tappets on a single but have done tappit adjustments on a few 4 cyclinder road bikes and agree with big wigs comments. TDC as mentioned can be found several ways and i have used these in the past when the plugs are removed: visual inspection (if poss). Finger over plug hole to feel the compression stroke as the engine is turned over by hand. long screw driver when flywheel is indicating TDC by putting a screw driver down the spark plug hole and turn the engine by hand slowly to see which way the screw driver goes (rise or fall)......best of luck