Beta Rev3 250 Fails To Stat

seanpower0

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle, I've looked through the forum and found the stator and CDI units can become faulty amd trying to find away to test mine.

The bike won't start at all any more, not even trying-tryed a new plug and ht lead with no luck, it does spark but i don't think it is a v-good spark although i have nothing to compair it to. there is fuel getting through and the bike was working ok then left it a day but nothing since.

Any help or sugestions appriciated, is there a way to elliminate faults so i can ordered the parts i require, if the stator/CDI failed would there still be a spark?

Thanks

Check the easy stuff first. Freeplay in the throttle cable, i.e. it snaps back when released and you can hear the stop in the carb. Make sure the kill switch isn't partially shorted. Beta kill switches are notorious. Make sure you have good fuel. One of the problems with pump gas is the ethanol in the fuel picks up water. Since it has a higher affinity for water then pre-mix oil, fuel which has absorbed water in humid weather can precipitate the ethanol out to sit in the bottom of the tank. That creates a whole host of issues with carburation.

If you can see a spark that's usually a good indication that the CDI/Coil are working. The spark that comes out of a bike isn't that easy to see unless it's pretty dark. I find that often when a bike has sat and won't start the carb needs to be pulled off, disassembled and every oriface hit with a blast of compressed air to clean it out. That usually gets my bikes going again. A lot of guys will tell you to run wire through the passages but I've always believed that to be a bad idea. Especially after getting a look under the microscope on the Keihin. The bypass passages on that carb are tiny. I've had issues with a bubble of water sitting in one of the pilot vent holes making the bike run less then stellar. Even in 100F heat the surface tension of the water kept it from evaporating.

I wouldn't jump for the CDI until you have eliminated the other, cheaper possibiities.

Thanks for the reply, i can hear the carb move as i turn the throttle so i know it is free and moving, i have already drained the fuel out of the tank and replaced it with fresh- looks like i will need to take the carb off for a good clean then.