Removing Swing Arm Bolt

elctb

I'm trying to remove the engine from the bike and to do so I need to remove the swing arm bolt. I've loosened the 2 little allen bolts, but the swing arm bolt is in there solid. Is there a trick to remove that bolt ? I'm afraid to punch it out from the other end and ruin the threads.

What you can do is to grind the head off the retaining bolt, then use a long allen wrench in the remaing hex or a long punch and beat the swing arm bolt out. I welded the rod on so after punching the bolt out you can unscrew it from the s/a bolt. You can also use it as a guide when reinstalling the motor, it helps with line up. Hope this helps. Mark.

What you can do is to grind the head off the retaining bolt, then use a long allen wrench in the remaing hex or a long punch and beat the swing arm bolt out. I welded the rod on so after punching the bolt out you can unscrew it from the s/a bolt. You can also use it as a guide when reinstalling the motor, it helps with line up. Hope this helps. Mark.

I did a similar thing to what Mark did by taking a bolt the same thread as the swingarm and brazing it to a thin rod to use as a driver and installment tool, works great.

You might try using the Allen bolt and backing it out a little so it still catches a few threads and then tap on it to move the swingarm rod out a little (enough to use a screwdriver to lever it out more), or enough to use a cresent wrench on the flat to rotate it which will make it easier to back out. The long bolt/bushing is aluminum so you need to treat it with care and sometimes some penetrating oil sprayed all around will help.

Jon

OK, I got it out. I used a somewhat different approach. I cut the head of the longest bolt I could find with the same threads and used that to punch out the swing arm bolt.

Thanks for the tips.

I finally took the engine out of the frame and had the transmission serviced.

However, I can't install the engine mounting bolts. The swing arm bolt and the front bolt go in without problems, but the bolt under the engine is misaligned by about 1mm and won't get through. I'm thinking to enlarge the tab holes by that much to fit the bolt through.What do you guys think, should I do this ?

Thanks.

Hi elctb,

That bottom mount bolt was always a bit misaligned, I always drill this mount/motor casing straight through with a 10mm drill bit to relieve the stress on the engine mounts. There's plenty of meat there so no need to worry about drilling.

When you get round to bleed the clutch actuation system, remember it is operated with mineral oil, not hydraulic (DOT 4) oil. You can get small bottles of this from your nearest mountain bike shop.

Bye, PeterB.