Yamaha Ty175

one-dab-or-two

Hi everyone.

My Dad has bought a Yamaha TY175 and is currently rebuilding it. It looked as if it hadn't been cleaned for about 5 years, so he is cleaning and polishing along the way.

He bought it cheap from Ebay, and although it was a runner it was a bit of a mess. To my mind it rode quite well, even with the gearing much too high, slick tires and rock solid rear shocks.

We are a puzzled though, because of some of the bits. It has magnesium hubs which (to me) says it might have been a special model, or were these fitted as standard? The side panels are missing, and the exhaust is completely different to the others that we have seen. ON the plus side though it has its original mudguards and they are perfect, except for a few scratches.

If anyone has any general information about the bikes, that would be great, also some pictures particularly of the engine, chain case, side panels and exhaust. If anyone could oblige, that would be wonderful!

Pete.

The silencer is different to any other ive seen. Its a cylinder that tapers slightly with a straight shield against the mudguard (can't describe it well)

Pics would be great, but unfortunatly can't get on to the yahoo thing. Begin at school there are safeguards on the system to stop us from using free email and chat rooms etc. (Bloody teachers! :rolleyes: )

Just had word from Dad that the right hand engine case has been welded up (a few cracks in it) with bearings, oil seals, conrod and big end bearing arriving soon. Won't be ready for next weekend though!

Many thanks, keep them coming!

Pete.

There is a Haynes manual available for the TY175. Will have to check my bike out, but I recall the hubs, or at least the brake plates have magnesium stamped on them. I'll snap some pics of the bike including the exhaust system. Will take a couple of days though, work is getting in the way of fun this weekend.

Final one for now............

These pics are taken from my TY175, which is completely stock standard entirely and is good as the day when it was new.............having never been used off-road, so you can see what a standard TY should look like.

Unfortunately most have been used and abused by now.

I also have brochure pics, if you need these to help and also specs from Haynes and Genuine Yamaha Owner's Manual should you need this.

post-13-1094839099.jpg

Wow! Thanks very much! I'm guessing then that although its been bashed and bodged, the important bits are all original. The other interesting thing is the frame has been black plastic coated and is still very good under the grime.

I should think that those are enough, though beeing greedy a bit of background info would be even better.

Thanks very much!

Pete.