4rt Plug Fouling Help

shnaft

Hi all,i have an 06 4rt that has been fouling plugs,i always let it warm up till fan kicks in,yesterday i changed the plug to the cr5eh9 thinking the hotter plug would burn the soot of better but after 2 hours came back took plug out and it was much the same,i was wondering if the jitsie air filters were better to allow more air through and if you do without the fire cage.hopefully someone has had this problem and can advise,cheers stuart.

When you say always let it warm up till the fan kicks in, do you mean you dont touch the throttle or just dont ride off? when you start the bike dont touch the throttle and dont touch it untill the fan kicks in, the odd tweek will in most cases foul the plug.

I ve never used the standard filter only the Jitsie ones so worth trying but I doubt its that, make sure you use good fuel all the time

When you say it fouls, do you mean it stops the bike or misfires. I had three 4RTs and they always ran very black plugs but this never caused misfiring/or poor running.

As I understand it, the injection system is virtually infallible, certainly the bikes have excellent reputations. Are you looking at the plug because you want to or because you need to?

Good point Mike, plugs are always black and look dodgy, if it came out a 2 stroke it would go straight in the bin and time for a jet change. Had my 07 4rt nearly a year now,bought it second hand and it was well ridden when I had it (SSDT etc etc) its never missed a beat and I ve put it through some rough old riding. Only swapped one plug in the past year and that was from a touch of the throttle on warm up, had this plug in for 9 months now

Edited by The Addict

Hi,the problem i had was the bike would not rev out cleanly,i changed the plug and that solved it.this is when i noticed the plugs sooting up,i was just thinking it wasn't getting enough air and was thinking a jitsie air filter would help,im using the stock filters with the fire screen at the moment,cheers.

my 4rt is doing just the same,plug goes black in about 30 minutes and the bike will sometimes hesitate when going up a step or really steep climb and back fires under high revs,new plug always cures it,i'm wondering about trying a different map as it had always being fine till sandifords changed the map program,maybe it's coincidental.my bike is running an aggesive map. also gauze and standard filter.

i'm also oing to look at all the electrical connectors this week.

my 4rt is doing just the same,plug goes black in about 30 minutes and the bike will sometimes hesitate when going up a step or really steep climb and back fires under high revs,new plug always cures it,i'm wondering about trying a different map as it had always being fine till sandifords changed the map program,maybe it's coincidental.my bike is running an aggesive map. also gauze and standard filter.

i'm also oing to look at all the electrical connectors this week.

well, I don't know if In can be of much help.mine runs perfectly right out of box...my plugs are always light grey, ''the way they are supposed to be''

in reading all these threads, I've come to the conclusion, not all 4rt's are the same!.......

fouling is a computer issue, .....the engine is programmed to run perfect mixture in all conditions!!!

however, I did throw away that stock filter, replaced with jitsie...and I run racing gas.......you'll never foul with racing gas!!

hello, have you or anyone else adjusted the tick-over at any point, its crucial the tick-over is set properly as this can cause a whole host of problems including plug fouling, a lot of people turn it down a bit because it sounds very fast when you first get a 4 stroke having come from a 2 stroke.

hope this helps a bit.

bingo

hello, have you or anyone else adjusted the tick-over at any point, its crucial the tick-over is set properly as this can cause a whole host of problems including plug fouling, a lot of people turn it down a bit because it sounds very fast when you first get a 4 stroke having come from a 2 stroke.

hope this helps a bit.

bingo

The idle speed is another thing i am wanting to check,im trying to get hold of a meter.only had the bike for 6 weeks,is there any difference using the jitsie air filters,i was told it smothed out the engine brake aswell

Forgot about the idle speed bingo, it must be high 1850 or above I remember and you must have a little play in the throttle else the engine thinks it getting revs, usually take the slack up on a 2 stroke but it must be free a few mil on the Mont

Edited by The Addict

i have used jitsie filters since i bought my bike, just make sure you dont over oil the filter, just dab it dry with tissue paper.

you dont need the fire guard either.

you only seem to get problems with these bikes when you start mucking around with them, people take out exhaust restrictors, adjust the tick-over, change plugs, dont warm them up, start them in gear, that kind of thing.

my bike is standard apart from the air filter, and a larger rear sprocket to slow it down a bit (better than turning the tick-over down)

bingo

Forgot about the idle speed bingo, it must be high 1850 or above I remember and you must have a little play in the throttle else the engine thinks it getting revs, usually take the slack up on a 2 stroke but it must be free a few mil on the Mont

Thats one of the things i did take up some of the slack at the throttle,there seemed to be about 6mm play,i will move it back.just ordered jitsie filters so will see what happens

thanks for all your help much appreciated

stuart