Ty175 Shifting

rock hopper

As I found out the TY has an unusual change mechanism, in that part of the gear change mechanism is in a chamber on the left

hand side of the bike. If you look, the gear change lever shaft runs in a bush which itself is in a cast plate held onto the bike by 4 screws.

This bush wears and makes the actual change bad as the full movement required to make a change doesn't occur. TY Trials make a repair

Kit (new casting with better bush and new change part) which made a big difference on mine. This may be your problem, certainly won't

cost you anything to check.

Could be what has been mentioned or it could under the clutch housing where there is an adjuster and some springs that keep the selector arm in the correct position,one of the springs could be weak or broken. Best bet would to be to get yourself a Haynes manuel where all will be explained.

Could be what has been mentioned or it could under the clutch housing where there is an adjuster and some springs that keep the selector arm in the correct position,one of the springs could be weak or broken. Best bet would to be to get yourself a Haynes manuel where all will be explained.

I think a TY Manual (factory) is available online for free. Pretty big (multiple files) and no, I don't remember where I got it from or if I still have it...

the ty 175 has a long gear selector shaft , that comes from the bottom of the engine , and feeds behind the clutch basket , to the selector barrel at the top of the engine . this can be strained and twisted causing problems whilst trying to select gears .

on inspection it may look OK , but when comparing it against a new one yhe damage can be seen .

Sam B

• 3 weeks later...