Sag On Beta

lpd

I just purchased an 06 Beta and measured rear sag. Without rider 1/4 inch sag, with rider (myself) I get an inch of sag. How much sag should I be looking for? Not sure what total travel is...although I believe sag should be set at about 40%?

Rear travel is 170(ish)mm. Some sag without a rider is good for traction. You should set the bike to roughly 30% sag or around 51mm for a lively ride, 40% (68mm) for a little more deadened.

Ok the best I can get is 2 (50.8mm) inches of total sag, and 1/2 inch (12.5mm) of static sag. Seem ok? If I loosen the collars on the spring anymore I just get more static sag, but no more sag from body weight. I'm a lighter rider, 160lbs fully clothed so I think this is the best I'll get it.

The rider I purchased it from looked about 200lbs, so he had the spring cranked down making the front end rake when I was friding. Also somewhat too hard in the rear.

PS just switched from a 2000 Gasser and this bike is a real treat to ride. 550cc's for the transmission? Is 80 weight ok?

Edited by lpd

I'd say it is about spot on then. 50.8mm sag will do just fine. With no turns on the spring and a little sag - as you have - your bike will ride really well. Don't forget to adjust the damping... it turn the adjusters in until it feels like it has a slow rebound then back off just a touch to stop it from being dead on it's action. If the rear shock appears to be very fast or the adjuster on the rear shock makes no difference then you are in need of a shock rebuild.

500-550cc oil is good. I think 80w may be a bit heavy but am not too sure. I use ATF in the gear box....the clutch is light and it is cheep to use.

Edited by NZRalphy

I'd say it is about spot on then. 50.8mm sag will do just fine. With no turns on the spring and a little sag - as you have - your bike will ride really well. Don't forget to adjust the damping... it turn the adjusters in until it feels like it has a slow rebound then back off just a touch to stop it from being dead on it's action. If the rear shock appears to be very fast or the adjuster on the rear shock makes no difference then you are in need of a shock rebuild.

500-550cc oil is good. I think 80w may be a bit heavy but am not too sure. I use ATF in the gear box....the clutch is light and it is cheep to use.

Thanks. I always adjusted the rebound on the rear full out on a Gasgas. So I should dial it in until its slow and then back off a touch?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

There is a small allen screw at the small end of the shock that adjust rebound damping (it appears to effect the compression a little). It faces out sideways. If you can't see it it may be around the hidden side, so undo the shock mount and turn the shock head 180deg.

If your shock is in good order a couple of clicks either way should make a difference.

Ralph