09 320 4t Help With Cold Starting

kingfisher

thank you for all your help,

Do any of you know what the float height should be i know the 2t is about 19mm is the 4t the same as i think the problem is the bike is flooding, when i am kicking it over there is fuel coming out of the carb.

I now can get it started a lot quicker 8-9 kicks and i think once the carb is sorted it will start even better.

In the sps carb the main jet screws into a brass tube which screws into the carb inside this tube there is a sping and a wee brass bit with holes in it, does any one know what way this goes in there is four holes on one side and one hole the other side,which side does the spring go against

thank you for all your help,

Do any of you know what the float height should be i know the 2t is about 19mm is the 4t the same as i think the problem is the bike is flooding, when i am kicking it over there is fuel coming out of the carb.

I now can get it started a lot quicker 8-9 kicks and i think once the carb is sorted it will start even better.

In the sps carb the main jet screws into a brass tube which screws into the carb inside this tube there is a sping and a wee brass bit with holes in it, does any one know what way this goes in there is four holes on one side and one hole the other side,which side does the spring go against

Oops, now you've done it! Not many have even seen this SPS thing! If you are not sure which way it came apart, maybe RLracer will pick up on this thread, or you might PM him, he has one sitting there, I know he was into it, not sure how far.

So did the brass thingie and spring just fall out of the tube after removing the main jet? :unsure:

In the Keihin with the SPS mods the main jet holder 'insert' has holes drilled on the top face which is inserted into the holder first with the spring pressure on the bottom retained by the main jet.

Please be careful that the other slide needle insert that sits in the throat of the carb doesn't twist or fall out when removing the main jet holder to remove the bowl.

Regular Sherco Keihins do not need the main jet holder removed to remove the bowl, but the SPS is different with the main jet sitting so low in the carb.

Caution also when removing the bowl not to force the overflow tube against the floats, as the bowl doesn't drop off, rather it needs a three handed hinge, twist, and slide movement!

Hope this helps. :unsure:

Good post there from Shercoholic,

So as I follow, stupidly, I read that when assembling, the brass thingie goes into the tube first, with the holes toward the slide side, then the spring, then the jet? Then gently install bowl? Float level bacially with arm paralell at the 45 tilt?

Having a chance to ride the '09 4T last weekend, it ran flawlessly, started first kick after warm. I tried to stall it, did not happen, although the tickover was set a bit on the high side, much like a Mont and I did not change it. Yet would still chug down low in third gear where a Mont will not, and still yank your arms off when you crack it, this thing rips!

I must say that I really had no probs on the standard carb on the '08 to begin with, am still uncertain about the physics of the SPS thing and if it is neccessary or just an added plus for certain circumstances when riders forget they are on a 4T? May cure the occasional spitback!

Also had a chance to ride the '08 Scorps 4T with the pumper carby, much less of the bottom than the Sherco, very gentile actually till it comes on the power, which is MUCH, could not manage to kill it either. Always a good sign. :unsure:

Copie if you come to Kansas on saturday i'll take the carb off and let you see how it works. I have to work sunday as of right now unless vacation opens up.

If you try you can stall anything. The Sherco is strong it's 317cc it just has to be. The stock scorpa at 250 cc works like the stock beta at 250cc add more cc's and it just get's better.

I found the pilot circuit plugged on this one, that's why it was a bugger to start, now I can start it hot or cold first or second kick. By bumping the idle a little it helps to keep them from stalling. Make you a deal on the 4-t sherco I have. You would make it a good home ! Then you could go thumping !

Copie if you come to Kansas on saturday i'll take the carb off and let you see how it works. I have to work sunday as of right now unless vacation opens up.

If you try you can stall anything. The Sherco is strong it's 317cc it just has to be. The stock scorpa at 250 cc works like the stock beta at 250cc add more cc's and it just get's better.

I found the pilot circuit plugged on this one, that's why it was a bugger to start, now I can start it hot or cold first or second kick. By bumping the idle a little it helps to keep them from stalling. Make you a deal on the 4-t sherco I have. You would make it a good home ! Then you could go thumping !

I gotta work Saturday, and since I am not contending the series this year, cannot do KS, just not worth taking a trade to get off Friday and Sat! Add about 15 hrs of drive time and motels, just too much! I will miss it!

That bike is the best deal around, and though I want it, the 2.9 is running fine and you just need kids to understand the rest! :unsure:

MC