Waterproofing

shercoman2k8

A lot depends upon exactly what you are doing with the bike.

A flap made of duct tape on the inside of the mudguard acts as a good deflector, and a strip along the side of the mudguard to airbox helps in a really wet event. Cover holes in mudguard.

Seems in most case, more water gets in when washing the bike than when riding. I inadvertantly put mine in a deep section of creek crossing last week, water up over the basic engine cases, had to slow down as not to surge the water too much while battling the rocks, nearly got really ugly, yet no water in the box! :unsure:

You can reduce the water getting in by taping up under the mudguard where it meets the back of the filter box and using silicone to seal the frame to the airbox above the carb and next to the shock. Finally silicone the mudguard to the filter box along the side and tape up the holes in the mudguard on the left side.

But if its really wet, like SSDT wet, you should also fit a tyre valve with the core removed to the underside of the filter box. If it rains take the cap off and any water will drain out. You can replace the valve cap when its not raining, if you do this mod grease the inside of the filter box where it meets the carb hose to catch any muck before it gets to the carb.

The valve mod also means if you do drown it you dont need to remove the filter box to get the water out.

As a sidenote, the '09 bikes ARE coming with a rubber low point drain valve thingy in the airbox!

I have not yet found out if these are made available to retrofit older bikes, yet ! Not a bad thing to have. Yet an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! :unsure:

The frame once again is the same (as far as im aware) so I imagine it should fit, I think I would rather put my 100 quid towards an updated shocker from the 06 one! Maybe even a titanium frontpipe or keihin carb.

The tubeless tyre valve is a good idea, maybe I could just loosen the core? that way water can dribble out and still stop muck?

Already ductaped and siliconed to the max!

• 2 weeks later...